Hip and Tilt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Where’s your head at with this guys hip snap technique. ? Also his version of turning the barrel is very excessive. No? Curious. Always appreciate your insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not a fan in all honesty. I will keep it civil so Pattar can put away his popcorn and get some sleep. 😝

Jun 8, 2016
Added: lateral tilt is reactive
Glad you added that because lateral tilt will be different for different pitch heights regardless of whether a pitch is in, middle or
out...I also agree with it being reactive...

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
k6wju2O.gif

How do eat a big bag of popcorn? One bite at a time!

Oct 2, 2017
Can someone explain the bicep pinch (how-to and why it's done)

I don't know if this is technically right or wrong. But the how to is pretty straight forward, it no different then during a bicep curl in which you pinch the forearm and bicep together, the only difference i imagine is your not flexing or contracting the bicep muscle. For younger kids, like my DD I stuck a business card between the forearm and bicep a few times, just so she could get the feeling of during the swing. After a couple times, took the card away and simple said to keep it tight.

The reasoning, is to maintain in my opinion connection to the rear shoulder during the initial launch and slotting of the elbow. It also helps get the hands to the inside quickly. If not maintained properly you generally with have the hands disconnect from everything which can cause several other issues. For a visual on this very thing on my Allie 9yr old thread in the practical hitting section post 98, 99 is the reason why I used it.

Like Eric F said previously though, it can cause issues if the cue is used too much. Because a player will not release away from the rear shoulder, thus pulling the hands and bat across the ball instead of going through the ball.

Sep 17, 2009
Tilt is for spacing. Not planing. The hands plane the pitch. Learn how to use your hands.

Hey WW, I think I get what you mean by tilt for spacing (ie, getting the body out of the way so the barrel can get where it needs to be), but I also think tilt IS about planing. It's what moves the bat path high to low and in and out, IMO. The hands, which are also extremely significant in my opinion (and you agree, ie, 'learn how to use your hands') get the barrel turned (in my opinion) or released (in your language) behind and to the ball with fine adjustments to optimize the contact point. And finally the arms are generally bypassed unless there's a last minute contact-location change required, ie a curve or drop, in which case you have to let out your arms as a last-resort adjustment to an already launched swing.

Do you think this is fair? And in particular, do you agree or disagree about tilt being the axis and plane-setter of in/out up/down rotation to contact point?

Dec 5, 2017
I don't know if this is technically right or wrong. But the how to is pretty straight forward, it no different then during a bicep curl in which you pinch the forearm and bicep together, the only difference i imagine is your not flexing or contracting the bicep muscle. For younger kids, like my DD I stuck a business card between the forearm and bicep a few times, just so she could get the feeling of during the swing. After a couple times, took the card away and simple said to keep it tight.

The reasoning, is to maintain in my opinion connection to the rear shoulder during the initial launch and slotting of the elbow. It also helps get the hands to the inside quickly. If not maintained properly you generally with have the hands disconnect from everything which can cause several other issues. For a visual on this very thing on my Allie 9yr old thread in the practical hitting section post 98, 99 is the reason why I used it.

Like Eric F said previously though, it can cause issues if the cue is used too much. Because a player will not release away from the rear shoulder, thus pulling the hands and bat across the ball instead of going through the ball.
Wouldn't starting with the bat in the neck slot or against the outside of the shoulder, the way Epstein teaches, accomplish the same feeling? I've used it with my dd a lot lately and she seems to get it, even though she mostly slaps it still seems to help. We use it for swinging away and I've not seen it taught to slappers but I like how it keeps her hands back. Don't know what the slapping experts would say but I've seen benefit from it. To be clear, we have only used the neck slot position, not back of the shoulder.

Oct 2, 2017
Wouldn't starting with the bat in the neck slot or against the outside of the shoulder, the way Epstein teaches, accomplish the same feeling? I've used it with my dd a lot lately and she seems to get it, even though she mostly slaps it still seems to help. We use it for swinging away and I've not seen it taught to slappers but I like how it keeps her hands back. Don't know what the slapping experts would say but I've seen benefit from it. To be clear, we have only used the neck slot position, not back of the shoulder.

You would think it would. My DD uses the neck slot and at times she still gets disconnected from the rear shoulder, and the forearm and bicep separates. This causes a myriad of issues. When she focuses on keeping the bicep and forearm "pinched or tight" then is solves a lot of "connection" issues. I think its also related to her age, and body awareness. You find at least with my DD, that when the separation occures it also coincides with not maintaining posture (Chest and head over the plate), the head comes up and chest often comes up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2