Hip and Tilt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Teacherman trains the hip to roll over the the femur so you tilt. Thoughts? I'm not sure how you do control how much you tilt like this.

Oct 2, 2017
Teacherman trains the hip to roll over the the femur so you tilt. Thoughts? I'm not sure how you do control how much you tilt like this.

I not a expert on these things, there may be others who are probably better at giving a opinion but I will give you mine. I'm assuming you mean roll over on the frontal plane over the femur. That would be hard to control. I think you can get a player to automatically create proper amount of tilt just by telling them to keep their head and chest over their toes as much and long as possible. . A player should automatically get over head and chest over their toes the proper amount depending on the pitch. For example if you tell a player keep their chest and head over their toes then toss them a ball chest high they should automatically adjust their posture more upright and not so far over their toes. A low and or low and away the more they are going to adjust their post over their toes. etc. Try it yourself. Make your head and chest over toes, and drive your back knee and hips. You should automatically have tilt.

I also think tilt has to do with how a player understands swinging a bat. If a player views the swing as moving more in a circular fashion around the ball then they will have a hard time creating proper tilt. If you can get them to understand that the swing is not in a circle around the ball but to and through more in a linear fashion with the barrell moving in a straight line then they should create tilt more naturally. What I mean by the barrel in a straight line, is imagine keeping the barrell more in a vertical orientation going down a road or railroad track as long as possible.

Not sure any of this makes any sense LOL

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The overlap is the twist and bend.....of your torsion spring.
Slow motion exaggeration of the entire action:
ScapPivot.gif

Top of Torsion Spring loaded: Clamping/pinching scap to the spine
ScapPivotPullBack.gif

The overlap: The Twist/Bend of the Torsion Spring.
ScapPivotTwist.gif

NOTICE THE REAR HIP PROJECTING FORWARD as the torsion spring is twisted and bent. The leg is turning forward and will PULL from that position.

The release of a well loaded Torsion Spring.
ScapPivotRelease.gif

May 16, 2019
I've been studying Richard's method for about 3 yrs. also taken 3 lessons from him talked several times on the phone ,(all before Arron Judge announcement) When I was 1st learning , I focused on tilt and things were a mess. Then I stopped teaching tilt and saw that tilt happens when other movement patterns and the timing of them are present in the swing. Hope that helps

Oct 2, 2017
I've been studying Richard's method for about 3 yrs. also taken 3 lessons from him talked several times on the phone ,(all before Arron Judge announcement) When I was 1st learning , I focused on tilt and things were a mess. Then I stopped teaching tilt and saw that tilt happens when other movement patterns and the timing of them are present in the swing. Hope that helps

100% agree

Oct 2, 2017

Just a observation, On the pull back. How can that be clamping/pinching the scap to the spine, when this entire upper body is turning back. Wouldn't pinching the scap be a isolated movement of the rear elbow pulling towards the back. For example doing a upper back row. Its a isolated movement.:
maxresdefault.jpg

Jan 28, 2017

Not a tech guy. Saw a video that showed him coil and scap load, then roll his hip over the femur to tilt. The rear leg burst forward. Until I saw the video I thought tilt was something else. Trying to understand it a little more. The video is on The Fastpitch Zone. DD and son has had lessons in the past with Juan Soriano but don't remember it taught this way. I'm not the sharpest.

May 16, 2019
It was Juan I had a convo with about tilt and he confirmed that he didn't teach it but It was more something that happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802