Hilarious article out of New Jersey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Oh they do, just witnessed it a couple of months ago. I don't personally know this head coach, but she's in for it!

Saw this a while back too- Tb org head and college head coach knew player had issues with sneaking out, drinking and the unfortunate results of hard core partying. But dang, she sure was a good player. Recruited her anyway. She didn’t make it until winter break her freshman year.

Arrested off campus, arrested on campus, and strangely seemed to have trouble with the flu and ****throwing up*** at morning workouts which just now occurs to me might be significant in this thread, lol! (No I’m not accusing anyone of anything)

I told Tb head, gee, no one saw that coming. //snark//

May 16, 2016
Illinois
This thread is all over the place.

Funny nicknames. Couple of 8 year olds going back and forth in an argument, and I still don't know where anyone works, lives, or where their daughter plays D1 softball at. I even know what to do if I make a mistake on my taxes. :p

By the way, Florida States football team could not afford lobster dinner. Just ask Jameis Winston. :ROFLMAO:

Aug 2, 2019
This thread is all over the place.

Funny nicknames. Couple of 8 year olds going back and forth in an argument, and I still don't know where anyone works, lives, or where their daughter plays D1 softball at. I even know what to do if I make a mistake on my taxes. :p

By the way, Florida States football team could not afford lobster dinner. Just ask Jameis Winston. :ROFLMAO:
Excellent thread summary.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Outside of the joke about the smell of the bus and the cell phones I don't see anything wrong with any of the accusations. My DD read it and was shocked at some of the things mentioned. Sprints for breaking a team rule? Scratched from diving? There is nothing abusive about these aspects. Had they left this out their case would have seemed a lot more realistic instead of seeming like disgruntled athletes whining.

As far a a sprints for punishment there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Every single one of us that played ball has heard "Drop your gloves!".

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
At first glance, a punishment for an overspend of $6 seem absurd. However, we don't know the history here. It is entirely possible that this was the "last straw" where a team habitually overspent, pushed the limits, and/or pushed other buttons with the coaching staff.

Per the punishment of 6 100 yard dashes, we also lack a lot of information. Players, like my child would have struggled given she played hurt for the vast majority of her career. When a player is routinely having her knee drained to make it through a year, I don't see her doing well during these sprints. As some of you might figure out, those that finish first get more time to rest between repetitions and those who finish last don't get that rest/recovery time. Typically, every softball team has some players who are larger. They won't do well in a punishment like this. They play softball and not some high intensity sport. Still, that doesn't seem excessive. OH, I forgot, some players with allergies or asthma will also struggle. I coached one you lady who was a hard charger and who passed out while running. She had asthma and refused to give herself a break to get that inhaler. As an FYI, a coach gets a medical statement about those with severe allergies and asthma and if they cross the line punishing these athletes, death can be the result.

When my dd was playing, I shared with some members here some of the team punishments and once in particular where my dd took the punishment for the team. As a parent, I was furious. As I mentioned in pms to a few members here, at one point one of the players said, "you won't die tonight." IMO, that moment became the turning point for that program and for my dd. From then on, there wasn't any doubt who the leader of the team was. Coaches have a tough job. Often, what they do seems to border insanity. I know I coached for a few decades. The players come to understand the method to the madness if this is done right. If not, you get this.

Nov 8, 2018
Back in 1986 we did 10x100 yard sprints on time. AFTER PRACTICE. Miss the time. Repeat. At Syracuse University.
Football of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I find it a little alarming that some just shrug off these allegations as normal and par for the course and that this is just the way it is in a D1 program. I just relayed the Cracker Barrel’ story to a current player on one of the top teams in the country and she was aghast.

I fear there is a lot of bad “coaching” around the country.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I find it a little alarming that some just shrug off these allegations as normal and par for the course and that this is just the way it is in a D1 program. I just relayed the Cracker Barrel’ story to a current player on one of the top teams in the country and she was aghast.

I fear there is a lot of bad “coaching” around the country.
That often happens when you tell a story void of any context and based on 3rd hand information. As always there is much more to this story...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee