Highest level of travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Agreed.
The distance between ASA and PGF is getting larger.
I was expecting this before I played-back the semi's and finals from Georgia where the cheating pitcher from EC Bullets won it all but honestly I did NOT see a higher level of play. That was 18U though. Maybe at the younger ages it is more like you are saying.
EC Bullets v. Florida ????
Wasn't that a Triple Crown event?
It sure sounds like TC/USA Nats, although Corona Angels beat ECB in the championship game. FWIW, I think the gap between PGF and ASA is greatest at 18U and narrows at each younger age level.

I listed TC/USA Nats as one of the top national tournaments instead of a national champonship because they don't have qualifiers. Entry is based on prior year's performance.

Here's the top 16 at TC/USA Nats and their finish at PGF Premier / ASA 18G Nats.

1 Corona Angels Tyson @PGF 2nd
2 EC Bullets Gold-Scnhute @PGF 5th
3 Firecrackers Rico @PGF 7th
3 Gold Coast Hurricanes 18 Gold - Cooper @PGF 49th
5 TX Impact Gold - Jackson @PGF 25th
6 Texas Glory @PGF 49th
7 Miami Stingrays 18 Gold - Gator @n/a
7 Atlanta Vipers 18G Jennings @PGF 33rd
9 Texas Firecrackers Gold - May @PGF 13th
10 Louisville Lady Sluggers @PGF 65th
11 Firecrackers-AZ @PGF 33rd
12 Florida Storm Gold @ASA 9th
13 Tennessee Fury - Lewis @PGF 33rd
13 Houston Power Gold - Glowacz @ASA 4th
13 Texas Sudden Impact Gold - Dutton @ASA 9th
13 The Next Level 18 Gold @n/a

Oct 31, 2011
Atlanta
Being a travel coach at the highest level in southern California here how the "food chain" works:

1. PGF (Premier Girls Fastpitch)
2. ASA
3. TCS (Triple Crown Sports)

I ranked these organizations accordingly because of how they are viewed by the college coaches. PGF Nationals has gained a lot of steam over the past couple of years and they are branching out to do more regional tournaments and championships. They do a first class job and you will see more of PGF in the coming years.

ASA is losing some steam because of PGF and TCS, but they are still the torch bearer for youth and USA softball. Attending ASA Nationals is still prestigious and college coaches still attend the 16 and 18u/18 Gold Nationals.

Triple Crown Sports is coming on like gangbusters on a national level even though they have put on the best attended showcases in the country for 15 years: Fireworks and Sparkler in Colorado. They are also partnering with larger regional tournaments in Florida and the northeast, and recently TCS established a legitimate National Championship tournament at the 18u and 16u levels based on their national ranking system.

Diamond 9 puts on big showcases in Orlando at the Disney complex and in New Jersey, and Surf City Showcases puts on many top showcases in SoCal (they are run by the PGF people).

Hope this helps!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I always thought the best showcases & tournaments were the ones attended by the college coaches who want to see your players. That is unless your plan is to troll for coaches, hopefully do something awesome, and get "discovered".

Mar 26, 2013
I always thought the best showcases & tournaments were the ones attended by the college coaches who want to see your players. That is unless your plan is to troll for coaches, hopefully do something awesome, and get "discovered".
True, however OP asked about the highest level.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The ASA has been a top softball tournament literally since the beginning of organized youth softball. The ASA has made mistakes, but you can't really argue with their longevity.

The PGF and TCF are doing very well now, but I've seen lots of softball organizations (e.g., the AFA and NSA) have their "day in the sun" and then fade into obscurity. Being successful for 5 years is a whole lot easier than being successful for 50 years.

Due to the close affiliation of the ASA and Team USA, if softball gets back into the Olympics, the ASA will be on top again.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
True, however OP asked about the highest level.

It appears that for many the participation at an "elite" tournament equates to playing at a high level. I would submit that the team that runs the table at any National event including USSSA, NSA, etc. is most likely playing at a higher level than the team that goes to PGF, ASA, TCS and gets run ruled and sent packing. Just as playing "D1 ball" does not by any means equate to having played at a high level. Are there more "high level" teams at some events than others? Sure. But playing at a high level is much more than just being there.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hard to beat PGF Nationals for top competition. ASA Nationals would be 2nd IMHO. Several good showcases - Independence, Demarini, Legacy, ect.

Jul 26, 2010
The ASA has been a top softball tournament literally since the beginning of organized youth softball. The ASA has made mistakes, but you can't really argue with their longevity.

The PGF and TCF are doing very well now, but I've seen lots of softball organizations (e.g., the AFA and NSA) have their "day in the sun" and then fade into obscurity. Being successful for 5 years is a whole lot easier than being successful for 50 years.

Due to the close affiliation of the ASA and Team USA, if softball gets back into the Olympics, the ASA will be on top again.

This is true. PGF and TCS are businesses. As we know in this country, businesses are expected to grow their profits or they fail on the drop of the hat. ASA is like a labor union. Labor unions are the antithesis to progress, innovation, and opportunity, but they like roaches and will not die and go away easily.

-W

Mar 26, 2013
It appears that for many the participation at an "elite" tournament equates to playing at a high level. I would submit that the team that runs the table at any National event including USSSA, NSA, etc. is most likely playing at a higher level than the team that goes to PGF, ASA, TCS and gets run ruled and sent packing. Just as playing "D1 ball" does not by any means equate to having played at a high level. Are there more "high level" teams at some events than others? Sure. But playing at a high level is much more than just being there.
True, but OP clearly asked about events where the highest level is played.

Was thinking about my daughter and her still-forming goals for herself in softball. She's interested in playing college ball, but whether she does that or not, she wants to play at the highest level that she is capable of playing.

What is the highest level of travel ball, iyho? Is it ASA nationals? Is at the nationals of Premier? Is it a particular showcase? ...

You don't really know whether you're playing at the highest level you're capable of playing unless it is against better players or you beat the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45