High school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Well she actually likes running poles ;)

Coaches tend to have a problem with kids missing practice, but most understand the real world and have a reasonable approach to the penance. The more they like the kid, the more reasonable it gets.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah that's pretty much what I said, unless the penalty is much worse than a few foul poles. If the penalty is unreasonable, and she still wants to march, then going over the coach's head is warranted.
Actually what I meant is if she goes over his head the recourse will likely be worse ( if she enjoys actually playing) than whatever penalty he was going to give even though it won’t be explicitly laid out that way…

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I sum up my assessment. Coach is an arshole. I would bet dimes to doughnuts he is not a very knowledgeable coach, probably teaching hello elbow and level swing.
March.
At that 30 minute practice he plans on introducing Squish the Bug technique to help them get to the playoffs. Of course, he wants ALL of the players in attendance.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Special treatment? Where in anything I wrote made it seem like we were trying to get special treatment?

If the coach requires all players to be at all practices (which, in my experience, is unrealistic for HS sports), expecting an exemption that other players don't get is "special treatment". If the coach has history of allowing players to miss practices for other events, and he's not doing it this one time for your DD, I can see why you might be upset.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD had an Issue with school coach, I told her you to talk to them or I will. She talked to them the next day. You might be surprised how well your DD handles it. Good luck to her and you.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD was benched for half of her junior year of volleyball for missing a match for a required band performance. Actually she was benched as of the day she told the coach this was going to happen. She went from the starting setter fir half the season to playing maybe 6 minutes total the second half of the year. Mind you this performance was required part of a class and part of her grade.
My DW had a chat with the AD and principal the next year. It didn’t happen her senior year.

Nov 18, 2013
I'm getting that most people think I'm just whining because DD just wants to go have a fun time with her friends instead of practicing SB.

At the start of the school year, this event was marked as REQUIRED for all Cadets. So I checked our SB schedule and just saw it was a practice so thought - of course our coach will let her do this required event over a practice. That seems like a reasonable thing to ask. It's not like we planned the date and decided to do it after we got our SB schedule. If it had been a game, then we would have requested that DD miss the parade if possible.

In our mind, it was required so DD made sure to ask the coach or inform him she'd have to miss practice. DD's friend also asked him about it last week and the coach was like sure - go to the parade. Then after DD had asked him, the coach emails the sergeant I guess to verify that the event is actually required which I guess changed so he told him it'd be fine if she missed the parade. (Also she's not going to just watch the parade - maybe that's what you guys think - she would be marching in it as a ROTC Cadet)

She never misses practices - has never asked for any days off. He gets them 6 days a week for at least 2-3 hrs every day and longer on game days. Asking to miss a 30 minute practice didn't seem unreasonable. And not to mention - depending on how long the parade took, she would go to practice from there - we just aren't clear on when things are going to end.

The OP seems to want DD to get special treatment to not have to attend practice in favor of something else, which is not a surprise.

And what is not a surprise? Special treatment? Where in anything I wrote made it seem like we were trying to get special treatment?

This whole rant is about special treatment. You want your DD to skip practice and you want the coach to be ok with it. Your DD is busy. So is every other kid. If she wants to do the parade skip practice and take the consequences. If she doesn’t want to do that just go to practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee