High School Softball (Spring) 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I thought I would create a thread about high school softball this spring. We are off to a good but not great start. It gets frustrating with the amount of rain that we have. We have had one good workday/practice where I thought we made huge improvements. We have the potential to have a tremendous freshman class and so, that is exciting. The varsity will be as good as they want to be. As with most years I have to back off some as I tend to get very intense. Last night was one example where the HC had to ask me to lighten up some. As most of you know, I was the HC for my dd and when she went to college to play, I resigned. Now I am back at it as a volunteer coach since I retired last year.

I will check in with some more after some of you have had a chance to give any shoutouts to your teams/player and let us know your hopes for this year. Oh, all of our seniors now have places to play in college and so that streak continues for us. In talking to a college coach about some of our juniors, that coach said that she would take any of our players that we recommended for her program. Our players have gone on to do very good things for their respective college programs.

Finally, a shout out to one of my former players who had a fantastic day yesterday. She went 3 for 5 with a couple of walks while her team is down in Florida. She took the lead in battling average and rbis. This young lady is one of many who hit with me during the summer in extremely hot conditions. When she signed with that college program, I told the coach that when she is done, she will hold some of their offensive records.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Rain is the story for us. DD's team should honestly compete for a state title but they do not look like it right now. Plenty of talent but haven't had time to play together or really even work together consistently in practice. They got in 6 games Saturday and won their last 4 and played better together each game. Hopefully a small break from Mother Nature will help them come together.

May 29, 2015
Illinois season kicks off next week ... ground has been wet but we've been in the 50s to low 60s most days the last week or so. Weekend forecast: SNOW.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We will have our parent meeting tomorrow night. Here is a small part of my presentation on what coaches notices in order for parents to have a small indication of what we look at in practice:

Negative List:

Who is listening when the coach is talking? (Eye contact etc. demonstrate that the player wants to learn.)
Who has to be told a drill more than once? This is especially troublesome if that player is an upperclassman.
Who can’t remember her equipment? THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN!
Which players rotate to the back of the line all of the time. In other words, which players are so unsure of what is going on that they never step up to be the first to do a drill?
Which players can discuss a concept of what is being taught when the coach asks the questions?
Which players gravitate to standing around in groups instead of working on drills? Now, this is the coach’s fault as well. A phrase to remember, “Groups larger than 3 beware of me.”
Which players continually use the phrase, “yeah I know” and then mess up when a coach is trying to correct them on a drill …
Which players are unaware that they are being corrected? (You won’t believe how much this happens!)
Who forgets their equipment at the field everyday!
Which players are “just happy to be there!”

Positive List:

Naturally, reverse any of the above and you can make that a positive statement.
Which players are there early to help set up for practice!
Which players are the last to leave practice AND put the equipment away?
Who wants more…!
Which players experience the bumps and grind and still come back for more instead of seeking the trainer for every little scratch.
Which players TALK SOFTBALL!
Which players understand, “You might have 10 boyfriends between the one you have now and the one you will call husband someday but you won’t ever get these 4 years back.”
Players that understand, “Never say sorry! GET BETTER!”

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Indiana practice started yesterday. Should be an interesting year. DD's team had a lot of talent return from a team that made the final 8 last year. This year they could eventually run into the state runner up from last year. Then there is the school with 3 pitchers that are high level D1 commits.

It is gonna be a fun year though. As a team last year, they broke every offensive school record and they will likely break all of those records again this year.

Apr 20, 2015
Indiana practice started yesterday. Should be an interesting year. DD's team had a lot of talent return from a team that made the final 8 last year. This year they could eventually run into the state runner up from last year. Then there is the school with 3 pitchers that are high level D1 commits.

It is gonna be a fun year though. As a team last year, they broke every offensive school record and they will likely break all of those records again this year.
Hello from indiana! What class are you in? We are class IV.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
Had our first game today. Was very pleasantly surprised with our non-travel players! We only have 4 TB players so it was awesome to see the rest step up today! Getting hits and making plays against a team that went undefeated last year until their conference championship!

Our Spring Break trip was canceled so now we have 2 weeks off from games. Grrrrrr.......

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Our parent meeting was last night. We’re supposed to start games next week, but it would take a miracle for that to happen with the forecast. Plus our softball field does not drain. Of course the baseball field is ready to go. Coach hasn’t said yet, but DD has been practicing with varsity so that’s a good sign. They should be a solid team. Like always I expect some good games against Canonballs team.

Jun 22, 2019
We started 2 weeks ago....my daughter‘s HS team is 13-2. The coaches are inheriting a group of select players. 5 of the 9 starters have gone yard already (all three of mine...brag) and are hitting well. Unfortunately, my middle girl is likely out for the year with a torn MPFL.

We played our first district game tonight and my youngest pitched...stuck out 6 in 4 innings, gave up 2 hits, went 3-3 with a double and a homer & my oldest went 4-4 with two doubles. Kinda proud of them tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802