High School softball issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Your story includes some texting back-and-forth of an apparent misunderstanding and disagreement. Apparently, a couple of years later, the coach's perspective changed. That is why I suggested a face-to-face that would included you showing up with some ideas to constructively address all concerns .

I agree that ROTC participation is valuable. If I were the coach, as someone who spent over two decades in uniform, I'd be looking for a way to accommodate. This is a communication and expectations issue. You and the coach now view the previous agreement differently. Sometimes, a parent face-to-face needs to happen...doesn't have to be contentious.
Most other face-to-face conversations with him haven't really been that great. It's very hard to get a read on him honestly. It wouldn't be so bad if he had talked about this at the parent meeting we had about 2 weeks ago. Then he could have gotten feedback and questions then instead of counting on the players to relay the information to him. It's just odd. He had already talked about the spring workouts so bringing this up would have been something related to all of that.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Most other face-to-face conversations with him haven't really been that great. It's very hard to get a read on him honestly. It wouldn't be so bad if he had talked about this at the parent meeting we had about 2 weeks ago. Then he could have gotten feedback and questions then instead of counting on the players to relay the information to him. It's just odd. He had already talked about the spring workouts so bringing this up would have been something related to all of that.

Lol...I know the type very well. I think it's a defense mechanism to deter too much parent interaction.

Jul 4, 2012
No offense, but this doesn't seem like a big deal. If your DD is now playing her third year for this coach, certainly this can be discussed between them, player and coach and worked out easily. Also, every "parent meeting" I've attended with three kids, all in multiple sports ends with "anyone have any questions?"

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
No offense, but this doesn't seem like a big deal. If your DD is now playing her third year for this coach, certainly this can be discussed between them, player and coach and worked out easily. Also, every "parent meeting" I've attended with three kids, all in multiple sports ends with "anyone have any questions?"
It wasn't an issue during our last parent meeting :)
Yea I want her to be able to talk to him and work it out with him. And there are other girls in a similar situation too so he's got to know he can't force it on them.

Oct 4, 2018
This would be a school class for elective credit really. You are required to take one semester of PE but that's usually handled freshmen year or during the summer prior to freshmen year. So anything PE after that is strictly elective. As far as I know football is the only other sport that may require it but it's only for the varsity players. But even then - I still think there should be a way to opt out if you are really wanting to take certain classes and do not plan on doing football in college.

Right?

I'm stunned it's even a discussion. Sacrificing learning and opportunity to better your education for lifting? Not a chance. And certainly not a chance if you're doing so many other athletic activities in the day.

Feb 7, 2014
I am surprised the coach is even aware of what classes are offered at the school. My experience as a student and parent has been that most coaches never step foot in the school unless that's where the gym is!

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
I am surprised the coach is even aware of what classes are offered at the school. My experience as a student and parent has been that most coaches never step foot in the school unless that's where the gym is!
I really hope this is sarcasm. As a three sport coach and a special education teacher I know all the classes that are offered in our academic programs. I not only monitor twenty plus students on my caseload I also do weekly grade checks for all the athletes that I am responsible for. The reason we are in a school setting is to get an education. I enjoy coaching and it is probably the most fun part of my job but I have a responsibility to graduate students.

I do not agree with a coach telling students what classes to take especially if they are meeting requirements.

Jan 27, 2021
I have nothing to add here. But I did want to say tell your DD good job on sticking with the ROTC program. The chances of that helping her pay for college are significantly better than a ball scholarship

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Well an update - I don't know what other schools are like but we have the 6 usual periods and then 1 called Academy/Advisement. It's not a real class but they go to it each day and do usually non-school work related things. So the coach has decided that for those not able to take the weight-lifting class, he wants them to get him as their Academy teacher so they can do weights then. I think it's fine - DD is just concerned about the days she has ROTC Uniform inspection. She certainly does not want to work out in her uniform if she still needs to be inspected. And changing out of her uniform into workout clothes would be tough because the uniform has to stay unwrinkled for inspection. But she will wait and see when her classes are for next year to decide on what to do or if there is a way to not do weights on inspection day.

She already hates changing clothes at school. She lucked out this past high school season because she was digital so she could just put on her softball uniform or workout clothes at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12