High School softball issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
So DD started her freshman year the same year our high school got a new coach. During the initial parent meeting he mentioned that he'd like it if upperclassmen took a Weight Training class. And that as long as the freshmen were taking PE, they'd be okay since I guess WT is done during that.
DD is taking JROTC and so she is not required to take a PE. After the meeting, we emailed the coach and said she would not have room in her schedule to take WT and he replied that he was not worried about her as JROTC does PT. So we were like - ok - great.
Coming up on two years later almost - he sends a msg to the girls and said - I'm registering you all for Weight Training - let me know if there is some valid reason you cannot take it.
DD replied to him saying - I'm taking ROTC still and you said it would be okay to take in place of WT. He replied back and was like - Not what I said, but sure. We ended up telling her to reply "My parents had told me that they thought that ROTC could take the place of it and please let me know if there is something I can do in place of it not during school time" He replied and said - we'll talk about it at the next parent meeting.

So A - we just had a parent meeting and he never mentioned any of this to us - and actually freaked out a ton of the upcoming freshmen parents who have to make decisions about the upcoming year
B - How can he sign up people for a class w/o consulting parents
C - My kid's academic classes are more important and are going to take priority over a PE class when my DD is already doing HS practices, travel practices and ROTC PT.

Does anyone else's coach require this? I know our football team is pretty much told to take WT but I would hope if they wanted to take a class that did not allow for this - it would not be required.
It wouldn't be an issue except that we already feel like the coach doesn't like DD so it's just one more reason for him to ignore her and not play her.

Jun 20, 2015
HS coaches come in all shapes and sizes. Some good, some bad, some horrible, etc.

If he/she is looking for a reason to exclude anyone, they'll find it. Sounds to me, that your DD is caught in the middle of the WT class attendees and the ones that should be but aren't working as hard as they should.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Weight training is pretty common now in softball, and it's not unreasonable for a HS softball coach to require it in some form.

Texting back and forth when there's misunderstanding or disagreement is an express lane to additional misunderstanding and disagreement. Did you ever talk to the coach directly and try to work out an agreement? The coach wants her to lift. You want her to continue with JROTC. Come to a meeting prepared with constructive suggestions that allow both.

If your DD is a good player, the only way she gets "ignored" is if the coach already has a bench full of good players. If she's a great player, you'd be amazed at how flexible and reasonable HS coaches can be! :sneaky:

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Weight Training should be an off season activity for the most part. Is this a separate period like a class? Normally you have an athletic period usually the last period of the day where they begin practicing. I can't imagine having two Athletic periods in a schedule.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Weight training is pretty common now in softball, and it's not unreasonable for a HS softball coach to require it in some form.

Texting back and forth when there's misunderstanding or disagreement is an express lane to additional misunderstanding and disagreement. Did you ever talk to the coach directly and try to work out an agreement? The coach wants her to lift. You want her to continue with JROTC. Come to a meeting prepared with constructive suggestions that allow both.

If your DD is a good player, the only way she gets "ignored" is if the coach already has a bench full of good players. If she's a great player, you'd be amazed at how flexible and reasonable HS coaches can be! :sneaky:
After the first parent meeting a couple years ago we did directly email the coach asking about it and it seemed like it was a non-issue as long as she was in ROTC. We didn't do any txt back and forth with the coach - as the player handles most of that unless there is something that requires a parent. We were letting her handle it. I hope that whatever he talks with them about resolves this.
As for ROTC - students are required to take at least 3 years of it and it is something that I think is more important tbh than weight training. Starting in March, the players will be doing Mon-Thurs workouts (which does include weight training after school). We play SB in the fall so spring is mostly just for travel.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
What will be DD’s HS has weight lifting as part their weekly practice/workout schedule prior to game season. And is scheduled for after school. Not sure how exceptions are handled as we aren’t there yet with DD.

I’d agree with others that, at this point, a one-on-one meeting needs to happen between you and the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Weight Training should be an off season activity for the most part. Is this a separate period like a class? Normally you have an athletic period usually the last period of the day where they begin practicing. I can't imagine having two Athletic periods in a schedule.
It would be a class and it would take the place of an elective or PE essentially. But you are required to take a foreign language for 2 years and since ROTC is pretty much a all 4 year program, that takes the place of any additional class. If it wasn't ROTC there are some students who take a fine art that is a all 4 year class as well - like orchestra.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
What will be DD’s HS has weight lifting as part their weekly practice/workout schedule prior to game season. And is scheduled for after school. Not sure how exceptions are handled as we aren’t there yet with DD.

I’d agree with others that, at this point, a one-on-one meeting needs to happen between you and the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is what is happening during the spring for DD's team. Which completely makes sense. And she will be doing that. Last year she couldn't participate as she was doing a spring sport but this year she opted to not do anything additional so she would be available for softball.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My kid's academic classes are more important and are going to take priority over a PE class.

Never going D1 with that attitude. Drop Trig. and Diff. EQ immediately and get DD in the weight room! :p
Coach Casey would be proud!
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/high-school-softball-issue.40599/

My Senior year I dropped Trig in favor of Home Economics. I didn't need the math class for my HS plan. Of course, I graduated in the 2nd quarter and still graduated from college. I didn't die either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478