High School Season 2019

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Excited about this season. DD switched schools and can't say enough good things about her new coaches and teammates.

Had their first preseason game on Tuesday. DD K'ed her first at bat against a Longhorn commit. Knocked one off the wall for a double in her second at bat. Also had an outfield assist.

This is gonna be fun!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD has her 3rd coach in 4 years. She is young and full of energy which is great, but we just don't have any talent except for a 3 or 4 Seniors. They played 3 scrimmage games on Saturday and did not score a single run. It was 43 degrees, windy and cloudy. Very miserable for all. A lot of face palming going on in the stands. One game we had only 7 players get to bat. Meanwhile the other coach (a former Olympic gold medal player) was happy stomping our team into oblivion. It's gonna be a very long season.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This is going to be an interesting year for us.

Tryouts are in two weeks, and we have 40 girls signed up (we only have 120 girls in the entire high school). For the first time, most of the girls trying out will have some experience. There is going to be a lot of competing for spots during that first week, and I'm not sure the girls are quite ready for that.

We only lost two seniors, but we also had our starting 2B and a depth pitcher transfer. And a girl who turned herself into one of our better hitters has decided to not play for her senior year. On the bright side, all of last year's JV players are back, and a few of them are definitely ready to step into those open spots based on what I saw during the summer season.

We've done all right for ourselves in our first two years with a varsity team. I think this will be our best team by far, but I also scheduled many more competitive games, so I would not be at all surprised if we play a lot better but we also lose more games this year.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We play our first games next Monday in a round robin so I can't wait to see how they look against live competition. I was able to watch one scrimmage and they didn't look bad but he had the JV and V mixed so it was hard to really read. Pitching looks solid and several of our hitters look tough. We return all of our pitching and 80% of our offensive production so it could be a fun year.

I am just hoping for a big year for DD and another trip to state.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
winning it all in 2018, this team is going to have a target on their backs for sure.

If we can just get out of our dang district, we are coming for ya'll ;)

6 seniors who have all played since Freshman year and a Jr. committed to Florida State (plays on the same TB as your pitcher). Hoping Blackman and Siegel get to state this year. Your right, it's gone by too fast.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
If we can just get out of our dang district, we are coming for ya'll ;)

6 seniors who have all played since Freshman year and a Jr. committed to Florida State (plays on the same TB as your pitcher). Hoping Blackman and Siegel get to state this year. Your right, it's gone by too fast.
I hope we are both there this year! It was a surprise that you all and Siegel weren’t there. You were definitely in the toughest district last year! My money is on both of you to be there this year. We will have a tough go of it in region and sub-state. It always takes a little luck to make that final eight.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I hope we are both there this year! It was a surprise that you all and Siegel weren’t there. You were definitely in the toughest district last year! My money is on both of you to be there this year. We will have a tough go of it in region and sub-state. It always takes a little luck to make that final eight.

What is the playoff set up in Tn? In Bama we are divided into classifications 1A-7A and then each class except 7A is divided into 16 areas. 7A are the largest 32 schools in the state and are divided into 8 areas. The areas which consist of primarily 4 teams but some like ours are 5 team and some more rural are 3 team. Teams play home and home with each area team and the top finisher hosts a double elim area tournament. Top two go to one of four regionals around the state to face the top two from 3 other areas. The top 2 from each regional advance to the state tourney.

The way we are set up teams are allowed 18 regular season games (includes area games) and 7 tournaments. It doesn't seem like much but our team played 60 games last year.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
What is the playoff set up in Tn? In Bama we are divided into classifications 1A-7A and then each class except 7A is divided into 16 areas. 7A are the largest 32 schools in the state and are divided into 8 areas. The areas which consist of primarily 4 teams but some like ours are 5 team and some more rural are 3 team. Teams play home and home with each area team and the top finisher hosts a double elim area tournament. Top two go to one of four regionals around the state to face the top two from 3 other areas. The top 2 from each regional advance to the state tourney.

The way we are set up teams are allowed 18 regular season games (includes area games) and 7 tournaments. It doesn't seem like much but our team played 60 games last year.
There are only three classifications for the public schools, A, AA and AAA. There are sixteen districts and eight regions in the state for each classification. AAA, the largest school division, that we are in will have around 8 teams in each district, so roughly 125-130 teams. First and second place from each district tournament go to regions. Top two teams from regions go to sub state (sectionals) and the winner of the sub state games go to state tournament which is the final eight teams. We play a double elimination tournament for the state title.

We play played 50 games last year which is probably the average for teams that go to state. We are allowed 34 games before tournament play starts. You can play in five tournaments which only count as four games, no matter how many games you play in each tournament. We rotate our district tourney host schools every year as long as the school has adequate facilities, lights, restrooms, etc. At that point, the winning teams host the next round of play at their home field until the state tournament begins. It is played in Murfreesboro, TN. Don’t get me started on the fields we have to play on, lol! Sorry, IRONMAN haha!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
DD2 is a junior and her HS team is “rebuilding”. One of two travel players, at least we have a battery. Lots of freshman, several good prospects others looking for PE credit. The real challenge for us is the new head coach. DD1 graduated from college, found her first job in her field that loves the fact that she’s coaching and will give her a schedule to support it. The sisters got along fine last year when DD1 was assisting. I have to figure out how to be invisible to DD1 so others don’t see her as a kid, my kid, and visible to DD2 to cheer every moment :)

We got reshuffled in our league and could be very competitive. We also got dropped to A in our district which would be awesome but the major powerhouse dropped also. They should be playing AAA schools. They are very good. Grumble...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802