High school rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I'm scorer for DD's JV team and had some questions regarding the rules with subbing/batting..
Coach is batting 9 usually. Further into the game he'll start subbing in players defensively and in the lineup.
However last night we had an injured player. We skipped over her in the lineup but added another player to the end to keep 9 batting. I didn't think you could just skip a player.

Also the other team had at least 3 defensive players that did not hit so they had 3 players who only batted. That seemed odd to me but maybe that is pretty normal. I guess I'm used to teams that don't have that many subs where they can do that.

Our first game our team actually completely skipped a player - she was up to bat the previous inning but the last out was a caught stealing so she never finished her at-bat. She should have been up the next inning but was skipped - the other team said nothing - but then again - no one hands out line ups to the scorers. We actually subbed in a player for the next batter so it wasn't obvious at first that it was wrong.

It's JV so maybe things just don't matter as much?

Jun 22, 2008
A whole bunch of messed up stuff. If you are playing under nfhs rules then no, you cannot just skip a batter and add one to the end. No, you cannot have 3 players playing defense that do not bat. Lineup cards should be filled out and given to the plate umpire and a copy should go to the score keepers. Everything you have described would be appeal plays and must be brought to the attention of the umpire.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Yea my thought is that since it's JV no one cares as much. I did see that the umps were making notes and talking to the coaches - so I know some things were being relayed to them but just found it very odd.

I did mention to our coach in our first game that we skipped the player but either he didn't understand me or didn't care :/

I just found it funny since our last TB tourney was playing under PGF/HS rules and we had this huge discussion with the other coach and the umps because one of our players was injured but we were batting 10 so the ump kept saying we could skip her w/o an out but the other coach said - we had to take the out since we were playing under HS rules - again a lot of those rules become negated since we batted 10 to start. 🤷‍♀️

Jan 27, 2019
Unfortunately, at times, JV is not given the same diligence as varsity but the rules are no different for JV. It is a disservice to the girls and the coaches who are supposed to be learning the game but don't follow the rules.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
JV Softball are like pool games. Free substitution to get all the kids some reps. It's usually drop dead last batter, so the Varsity can get on the field.

Jun 22, 2008
Jv here is treated exactly the same as varsity. Same rules apply across the board.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
JV Softball are like pool games. Free substitution to get all the kids some reps. It's usually drop dead last batter, so the Varsity can get on the field.
wish we had that, most JV sports here are after Varsity, Varsity plays to completion, JV has whatever time is left with umps or until game is called on acocunt of darkness, no lights at most fields.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Yea my thought is that since it's JV no one cares as much. I did see that the umps were making notes and talking to the coaches - so I know some things were being relayed to them but just found it very odd.

I did mention to our coach in our first game that we skipped the player but either he didn't understand me or didn't care :/

I just found it funny since our last TB tourney was playing under PGF/HS rules and we had this huge discussion with the other coach and the umps because one of our players was injured but we were batting 10 so the ump kept saying we could skip her w/o an out but the other coach said - we had to take the out since we were playing under HS rules - again a lot of those rules become negated since we batted 10 to start. 🤷‍♀️

How can you bat 10? You may have DP/Flex and your players total 10, but only 9 bat.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Since the results of JV games don't matter in most places (I won't say "JV games don't matter" because they absolutely matter for player development), you'll often see coaches agreeing to some altered rules as a way to get everybody in the game, move things along, etc.

Last year, our JV was up big on a team. The other team had one girl who hadn't yet gotten an at bat. She was on deck. The opposing coach asked me if, instead of us batting an additional time, we could just have that girl bat even if we got the third out. I agreed. So after we got the third out, I just went out to tell the team what was going on, said treat the situation like two outs, and the girl got to bat and we didn't have to play a whole new inning (which could've lasted 30-45 minutes easy).

All that said, it would be good to make sure the oddities you've described are intentional rule-bending agreed to by all parties and not just coaches being clueless.

Sep 29, 2014
JV seems to never get treated the same although we always played on different fields at the same time which was nice (whoever finished first could go cheer the other team although sometimes the Varsity girls just went straight to the bus usually after a tough loss). Although was kinda interesting once we had a 7 or 8 run led in the JV game, the varsity game was over, so some of the varsity girls from other team came over and joined the JV (safe to assume they were on JV but called up to play varsity) well those three or four girls made a quick difference and started a comeback but our JV girls stood tough for a couple innings for the win.

We did almost always abide by the rules but did seem to get the "newer/least proficient" umpires. Every now and then we would have a situation where either because of injury or circumstances the coaches would get together break a rule here or there (usually substitution or line up or pitcher rotation) but it was the rare exception a couple times a season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom