High school hall of fame:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I posted this on another site but wanted to share it here as well. I hope that you don't mind that it is about one of the baseball teams I was blessed to be able to coach. (I was the assistant coach and hitting coach.)

On Saturday night, I was honored to be inducted into the Edwardsville High School Hall of Fame with the 1998 State Championship team. That team went 40-0 and was also ranked as the #1 high school team in America. I am so honored to be associated with such an outstanding team. After high school, those players have achieved so much. All have families and the majority of them have athletic children. I would have guessed that. Some of these players played professionally and a couple made it to MLB. The former players are teachers/coaches, lawyers, financial consultants who own their own companies, ... One is a judge. Two farm huge pieces of land. One is a police detective. They live all over the country but came back for this special occasion. I believe the entire team made it to the ceremony.

The stories that they shared were often funny. It is odd the things that they remember. I laughed so hard at some of the stories. However, a majority of the time, they talked about dedication and hard work. They talked about life lessons and the coaching staff not being willing to accept second best. A lot of the stories that they told about me would not be acceptable in today's coaching climate. When one of the players walked past me as we were greeting each other, he turned around, apologized for walking past me, and then said he didn't recognize me without my crusty hat, a fungo and/or a glove in my hand.

When they talked about going 40-0, one common theme was that they never thought about being undefeated. Instead, they thought about winning the next game that they were to play. As one said, if you respect all of your opponents, you can't get caught off guard. A major point of discussion was that the news media out of Chicago was somewhat disrespectful to them since they didn't have the big names and were not physically a big team. One pointed out that one reported wanted to know how the team was going to respond to playing teams from the Chicago area that played a much tougher schedule. I can't type what that player said he thought about that question. We not only played a tough schedule, but we also took on the best from St. Louis and beat them. The closest game we had at state was a 4-1 victory. We won the other games, including the championship game by a good margin. Ironically, when it came down to the all-state team, we only got one or two players on that team and the teams we beat were well represented. When asked for my comments on this team and the award, I repeated what I have so often posted here. "I am the most blessed person you will ever meet."

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I posted this on another site but wanted to share it here as well. I hope that you don't mind that it is about one of the baseball teams I was blessed to be able to coach. (I was the assistant coach and hitting coach.)

On Saturday night, I was honored to be inducted into the Edwardsville High School Hall of Fame with the 1998 State Championship team. That team went 40-0 and was also ranked as the #1 high school team in America. I am so honored to be associated with such an outstanding team. After high school, those players have achieved so much. All have families and the majority of them have athletic children. I would have guessed that. Some of these players played professionally and a couple made it to MLB. The former players are teachers/coaches, lawyers, financial consultants who own their own companies, ... One is a judge. Two farm huge pieces of land. One is a police detective. They live all over the country but came back for this special occasion. I believe the entire team made it to the ceremony.

The stories that they shared were often funny. It is odd the things that they remember. I laughed so hard at some of the stories. However, a majority of the time, they talked about dedication and hard work. They talked about life lessons and the coaching staff not being willing to accept second best. A lot of the stories that they told about me would not be acceptable in today's coaching climate. When one of the players walked past me as we were greeting each other, he turned around, apologized for walking past me, and then said he didn't recognize me without my crusty hat, a fungo and/or a glove in my hand.

When they talked about going 40-0, one common theme was that they never thought about being undefeated. Instead, they thought about winning the next game that they were to play. As one said, if you respect all of your opponents, you can't get caught off guard. A major point of discussion was that the news media out of Chicago was somewhat disrespectful to them since they didn't have the big names and were not physically a big team. One pointed out that one reported wanted to know how the team was going to respond to playing teams from the Chicago area that played a much tougher schedule. I can't type what that player said he thought about that question. We not only played a tough schedule, but we also took on the best from St. Louis and beat them. The closest game we had at state was a 4-1 victory. We won the other games, including the championship game by a good margin. Ironically, when it came down to the all-state team, we only got one or two players on that team and the teams we beat were well represented. When asked for my comments on this team and the award, I repeated what I have so often posted here. "I am the most blessed person you will ever meet."
Congratulations at @Cannonball!

Really like the mental philosophy thinking in paying attention to winning the next game!
Thank you for sharing your story.
Well deserved!

Dec 11, 2010
Congrats CB! And that sounds like an awesome night.

Sometimes it’s hard to remember these kids are going to grow up and leave their mark on the world.

Was talking to a guy that went to high school with our kids pediatrician. The man is absolutely brilliant and had the best personality with kids and parents you can imagine. This guy said about him “He was the fastest guy I ever played with. I don’t know if I have ever seen a kid that could run that fast since.” I never looked at that doctor the same. How can one guy get so much talent, lol!

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Congrats @Cannonball!

A few years ago I was inducted into Cobden's Athletic HOF, with our 2008, 2009, and 2010 Championship teams. We all had similar conversations to the ones you described. You remember the great victories, the toughest defeats, and then it's the bus rides, post game meals and all the fun that was had.

I like to remember the quote from Amos Alonzo Stage, when he was asked what he thought about one of his National Championship teams. He replied "I'll let you know in 20 years." You never know the impact you make until so much later.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Congrats @Cannonball!

A few years ago I was inducted into Cobden's Athletic HOF, with our 2008, 2009, and 2010 Championship teams. We all had similar conversations to the ones you described. You remember the great victories, the toughest defeats, and then it's the bus rides, post game meals and all the fun that was had.

I like to remember the quote from Amos Alonzo Stage, when he was asked what he thought about one of his National Championship teams. He replied "I'll let you know in 20 years." You never know the impact you make until so much later.
I wanted to use the "like feature" but this response deserves even more. Yes, the bus rides. Who would think that those still stood out? We had the "work days" where the team cleaned up the entire area around the field and they talked about that. Things like pulling weeds. LOL, Of course, you are at Cobden and that tradition is so powerful.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
I wanted to use the "like feature" but this response deserves even more. Yes, the bus rides. Who would think that those still stood out? We had the "work days" where the team cleaned up the entire area around the field and they talked about that. Things like pulling weeds. LOL, Of course, you are at Cobden and that tradition is so powerful.

I haven't been at Cobden since 2012, but they gave me my start. That place will always be special!

It's amazing the little things that they remember that end up being so memorable. Congrats again, man!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee