High School coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Parents rarely criticize any male sport for playing to win. Its always female sports that they want to the "equal" I won't even say fair because I don't think equal playing time is fair for a lot of reasons. As to the poster who said why a roster of 16 if only 9 play I agree with the other 7 kids deserve opportunities but those opportunities might not be anywhere near equal. I don't agree with throwing only 1 pitcher for the health of the pitcher not for the the equality aspect. My kiddo is athletically blessed in many sports and I've always told her that your job as a starter is to play so well that your team kicks a** and everyone behind you gets opportunities.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
When coaching or at my business the words "fair" and "equal" come up. People/players say they want to be treated fair. My first reply is there are two kids of fair in this world. The one you go to in the county for the rides and the other fare is what you give the bus driver.....that's it.

But if we're talking about fair what is it you're looking for...and typically the conversation really turns to that what they want it equal.

So my question to them is do you want fair or equal? 95% of time...they way equal. OK then the policy is if you're 5 minutes late your fired from the job (or cut from the team). if you got caught behind a 4 car wreck on the interstate and that made you late you're ok with being fired/cut? But if you're habitually late you're ok with it? YES!

So you really want fair...but with discernment that applies to the individual circumstances. People say they want equal....but they really don't.

It's always interesting to watch the wheels turn when I explain it this way. Most leave the conversation
with a little different perspective.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Big difference between a coach and a manager. Everyone likes to call themselves a coach, but how many actually "coach" DD has been on 4 TB teams, two had managers, two had coaches, big, big difference.

Agreed. I told my DS and now my DD...there's three types of coaches you'll come across.
The manager: someone who knows how to move all the chess pieces on the board at the right time for the best outcome
The technician: the one who can teach you the best techniques and mechanics
The motivator/bench coach: the one who connects with you on the right level and you want to run through walls for, the one who "gets" each player (not soft on them) and builds a relationship with the player.

If you get a coach that is strong in 2 of those 3....you're doing well. The best staffs have coaches that are generally strong in 2 and the other staff members are stronger in the area someone else isn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802