High School coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Funny...my kids didn't do any of that. DD#1 started every game her junior and senior years. DD#3 started every game from the middle of her sophomore year.

Maybe it was politics...or maybe it was DD"#1's 14 strikeouts a game and .450 batting average, or DD#3' 20 points a game and 10 rebounds a game.

How'd the coach handle the other girls on the team? or did they all just ride your DDs' coattails. hard to lose too many when you strike out 14 and hit .450.

You actually made my point for me. Because while your daughters were studs, not everyone else on the team was. And yet the coach had to decide who to play, even though they apparently weren't needed. Seriously. That's one non-strikeout out an inning, How hard could it have been?

OP's DD is on the outside looking in on her HS team. Clearly that was never the case with your daughter, which makes you rather unqualified to comment on her situation. You may think that the field is always a meritocracy, but that's rather easy to do when yo've always excelled. Not everyone can be the best player in the county (or state, I assume, with numbers like that). I'm happy for you and your daughters, but the OP's situation is one none of you have been in.

I have. As i chronicled at whiny length, my DD was outside looking in this year. The coach set her team without real tryouts, which apparently everyone believes is a coach's prerogative. So how do you get in? OP's daughter was hitting well. She played the OF well. Coach didn't play her much, but started seven others every inning of every game. So it's fair to say this coach has favorites. So how do you become one of the favorites? Performance hasn't helped. I was suggesting other avenues that might.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I guess I have been punched. LOL

To the OP, read your post again. You really don't know much at all and are relying on your emotional ties and a second or third hand interpretation of a conversation. Now, where did I put that boxing headgear?

I did think about this last night and he could have totally meant something different when he talked to the other player. My gut reaction was very defensive about it due to how things went this season. One AC did tell DD that if she could get a little faster (one thing we def know and what she really wants to work on) she would have a perm spot.

I don't think they get as much instruction in HS but she joined a new TB team this season and they really work them - so I hope she can take that and really show up for next year.

Jun 8, 2016
The only thing she can control is what she does. She has two options. A) If she isn't enjoying HS ball don't play B) Work her rear off and see what happens. If she still doesn't play as much as she wants she will at least know that she did everything in her power to get better.

May 6, 2015
HS coaching accross the board is a crap shoot, in basically all sports. maybe if HC had to excel head and shoulders above their peers and be undeniably and undoubtably better (ie win division titles every year or get canned), then I can accept a player has to be head and shoulders above every other player on a 20 odd player team (with 9 playing at anyone time), but that is not the case, avoid anything illegal or unsavory and they generally have job security, so I call total BS on that mantra.

a HS coach has no idea what a player is capable of until they give them a real chance. but some wont, because then they might show everybody that the favorites have not really earned their spots. DD1 has sat behind a player in another sport because that player is one year ahead of her, the only other at their position (very specialty position), so DD1 will get one year of varisty (her senior), based on nothing but age and the fact mom is very involved booster (sorry my DW has to work full time to support our girls athletic endeavours), this other girl got three (DD is right at this girls level, and anyone will tell you I do not look through parent goggles, I am tougher judge of DDs then any other players), HC has never even watched DD1 play/practice for more than 5 minutes. she asks and they give her a load of BS, which she is buying becaue she is young (and we do not want to shatter her dream of V letter at least in junior year), work harder in practice (this other player has missed way more practice time because of a job), attitude (hard to have positive attitude when you are screwed over year after year). meanwhile it is DD doing a couple of clinics (free) a month for this position for the the feeder program, not the varsity player.

varsity got shellacked yesterday, so guess what JV and VAristy will run run run today, even though JV players had no chance of changing outcome. will running JV to death make varisty any better? but maybe, when the game was out of hand, sitting some of the varisty players and putting JV players in might send a message. certainly would not have changed outcome of game (maybe final margin, but not outcome). instead JV gets punished for I guess not cheering hard enough (they must be load and vocal entire varsity game, but during JV game, immediately after, all varsity players wander off to parents then come and sit in circle behind bench for chit chat session). HC does not even watch JV play, goes into school to enter the score because got forbid they not post a win within 10 minutes of final whistle.

the be way better crap is pure BS, plain and simple. I have an idea, coach picks his best 9, send everyone else home after tryouts, see how that season ends (probably with bunch of forfeits because someone will drop off, get hurt, not be eligible, etc.

at least to me, HS (and really all youth) sports are supposed to be about more than just winning; building character, establishing school pride, teching time management, etc., not for beating down students spirit and making them question their love of a sport.

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry, I don't believe a word most parents say about their kid on here. Most normal parents are biased, they are supposed to be, it is their kid and they love them.

Jun 8, 2016
I think most parents are also the most critical of their kid too ;)
In terms of judging how good their kid is in comparison to another player? Not from what I have seen. I also think most parent don't know much about the game..Which is fine. If my kid played field hockey I would just keep my mouth shut because I would have no clue..

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
In terms of judging how good their kid is in comparison to another player? Not from what I have seen. I also think most parent don't know much about the game..Which is fine. If my kid played field hockey I would just keep my mouth shut because I would have no clue..
True - it's different when comparing of course! I do wonder sometimes though if other parents really do think their kid can do no wrong.

Both my kids are in multiple sports and SB is probably the only sport which I feel like I'm pretty knowledgeable but ofc there's many aspects I do not know. The others I just sit back and watch. DD wants to try lacrosse this year - and I'm just like - ok you do you :)

Jun 8, 2016
True - it's different when comparing of course! I do wonder sometimes though if other parents really do think their kid can do no wrong.
A pitcher who recently left our team was pitching for her new team and gave up 5 runs in an inning on a few walks, a HBP and like 5 hits. The mother apparently starting asking out loud why she was pulled, "she was throwing 60% strikes.."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28