High school ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
In IL, the teams can't start anything official - including tryouts - until the Monday of Week 35 of the school year, which usually is somewhere between Feb 26 and Mar 3. First games can't be played until Week 37 (Mar 12ish), and the state tournament begins in Week 46 or 47 (May 14ish, May 21ish). Teams can play a max of 35 games plus state tournament.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It depends on the state. In the previous state where I coached, we were allowed 35 games total, not including post season. We basically averaged 3 games per week, but we had multiple weeks playing 4 games, sometimes 5, especially with weather. Here in PA, we're allowed 20, so its pretty much 2 per week with an occasional 3rd, then post season.

I should mention, our start date for games is March 23 with the State Finals scheduled for June 15.

Also in PA. In addition to the 20 game regular season, we are permitted to have 2 scrimmages. Our games also begin late March and will end late May for regular season. Then districts and states... Regular season is 20 games in a 9 week period. Not very difficult until the weather related cancellations start happening. Then you could end up with 4 or 5 games in a week playing catch up.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Also in PA. In addition to the 20 game regular season, we are permitted to have 2 scrimmages. Our games also begin late March and will end late May for regular season. Then districts and states... Regular season is 20 games in a 9 week period. Not very difficult until the weather related cancellations start happening. Then you could end up with 4 or 5 games in a week playing catch up.

Exactly. Have to love those early season games spitting snow!!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We are going to play 34 games and then playoffs. We just redid the surface of both our varsity and JV fields with dredge (a substance that really absorbs water) and so, we should not be rained out again. We start in February but games start in March and we play until late May. No TB during HS Season.

Jan 31, 2011
Wow... a ton of games/time.
When do your girls play travel? Showcases?
How do your girls get recruited? Do Colleges recruit at HS games?

Not intending to hijack this thread. But, good question on recruiting. In state clubs normally hit the fall showcases only. Of course that really limits their exposure.
Recently, a few clubs are putting teams together for Colorado in July & the kids are either missing high school games or don't play HS ball. Iowa Premiere plays in the PGF Nats. I believe they qualify in the fall. Their club CEO is the Iowa PGF rep.

There is no rule about TB during HS season.

Yes, I have seen many college coaches at high school games. Actually, Iowa City West HS hosts a FRI/SAT tourney in late June that is intended to be a HS showcase. Of course, the vast majority are in state colleges. It is what it is for Iowa kids to be honest. We have a tremendous amount of quality ball players that "fly under the radar." Their exposure path is a little more difficult.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
We are going to play 34 games and then playoffs. We just redid the surface of both our varsity and JV fields with dredge (a substance that really absorbs water) and so, we should not be rained out again. We start in February but games start in March and we play until late May. No TB during HS Season.

Since Cannonball and I are in the same state, but at opposite ends, I should say that around here, 30+ games is incredibly unusual. Some of the public schools play only a handful of games (they don't seem to reschedule rain outs, budgets are low, and quite frankly there is a lot of apathy about softball). We're not in a conference so I have to build an entire schedule from scratch each year. Right now I have 18 varsity/4 JV games scheduled, but I hope to get close to 30 varsity/10 JV, knowing a third of those are gonna get wiped out by weather.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad