High one

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Also shows that you don’t need big weight shifts to create the leverage. He is creating leverage without a big weight shift.
Define "no big weight shift" when he has that giant leg kick and at contact his back foot is on his tippy toes.
I see all back foot, all front foot, and then immediately all back foot again.
Notice that front knee snap straight.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In the past, I’ve seen where the barrel/ hands come towards the front hip. Although unless you are making an adjustment, it should look like Seager.

I think that has to do w timing and intent more than anything. When you’re on it you will come across your hip. More of a pull type thing.

4B6D628F-445B-4FCD-91AC-C2A4367BCAA9.gif

Jul 29, 2013
I believe rear leg/hip drive is more prevalent in Bett's swing
Wouldn't driving the hip with the back leg involve extending the back leg? I see hip extension but no knee extension so the hip extension is just the leg being pulled forward by the pelvis.
Think running... push with the leg and the hip and knee extend, stance phase... heel to toe push off where the power is applied.
Pull the femur forward and create flexion in the hip joint with knee flexion, swing phase (doesn't influence forward movement. It only sets the leg up for the next stride.)
extend the knee and reach for the ground to inititate stance phase again.
Pull the pelvis forward and the hip stays extended but the knee is bent...softball/baseball swing, not power move, not even a recoil. More like dead leg being dragged.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I believe rear leg/hip drive is more prevalent in Bett's swing

I don’t know about drive, it’s an dynamic move into the launch position and FYB. He stretches the entire system and stays coiled at the back hip even into foot plant.

Betts is like pulling the slingshot back and then letting it fly.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Wouldn't driving the hip with the back leg involve extending the back leg? I see hip extension but no knee extension so the hip extension is just the leg being pulled forward by the pelvis.
Think running... push with the leg and the hip and knee extend, stance phase... heel to toe push off where the power is applied.
Pull the femur forward and create flexion in the hip joint with knee flexion, swing phase (doesn't influence forward movement. It only sets the leg up for the next stride.)
extend the knee and reach for the ground to inititate stance phase again.
Pull the pelvis forward and the hip stays extended but the knee is bent...softball/baseball swing, not power move, not even a recoil. More like dead leg being dragged.
Way too technical for me Bobby 😁, however I view the back leg being dragged forward on a lot of HL swings. I see this one a little differently

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Way too technical for me Bobby 😁, however I view the back leg being dragged forward on a lot of HL swings. I see this one a little differently

Curious why you think he’s using more leg drive on this swing ? Or in general ? Or both ?

Edit: or are you taking about using the ground ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28