High Level Throwing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
While getting the 'elbow' to whip out of the 'short orientation' ... take note that your daughter's head is relatively frozen on her target ... that binds up her body somewhat and will make the extension that Austin is attempting to describe somewhat cumbersome. Notice the head re-direction that occurs during the thoracic extension and on-wards in the clip below. Experiment with allowing that to happen and I think you'll find the extension work much easier.

Throw-BHarper-OF-2b.gif

Slowed down ....

Note-Head-Redirection.gif

Yes, i see that now, it's like she is shy and trying to keep her head buried in her throwing shoulder. Thanks again.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The difference in these photos is significant.

13545d1545070641-high-level-throwing-mechanics-throwcapture.jpg
13546d1545070655-high-level-throwing-mechanics-throw2capture.jpg

Perhaps this will help.

If you were to slow motion Austin's video from the 1:11 to the 1:12 portion of the video when he throws, you can see the elbow extends fully straight, the upper arm basically stops and the forearm whips up and creates a natural release at full extension, the wrist naturally snaps thru and then pronation to finish off the throw. Besides just showing my DD this video, are there good drills/cues to tell her to focus on? Especially during warmups, as she can slow down and feel it at that point easier than in full motion. His throw looks so fluid and effortless.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you were to slow motion Austin's video from the 1:11 to the 1:12 portion of the video when he throws, you can see the elbow extends fully straight, the upper arm basically stops and the forearm whips up and creates a natural release at full extension, the wrist naturally snaps thru and then pronation to finish off the throw. Besides just showing my DD this video, are there good drills/cues to tell her to focus on? Especially during warmups, as she can slow down and feel it at that point easier than in full motion. His throw looks so fluid and effortless.

I would recommend starting with the "arm behind throwing drill".

Arm_Behind_Throwing_Drill2.gif

Then progress to the "dump the water drill".

Water_Bottle_Throw_Drlll.gif

Sometimes I use an empty cup of coffee and perform the drill ... hold the coffee cup by the handle, dump the coffee out behind my head, and get extended.

Throw_Ichiro_home_tippingthewaterbottle.gif

Water_Bottle_Throw_Drlll_Compare.gif

Advance to performing throws.

There are more add-ins ... but this will pretty much get a player throwing fairly well.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I would recommend starting with the "arm behind throwing drill".

Then progress to the "dump the water drill".

Water_Bottle_Throw_Drlll.gif

Sometimes I use an empty cup of coffee and perform the drill ... hold the coffee cup by the handle, dump the coffee out behind my head, and get extended.

Throw_Ichiro_home_tippingthewaterbottle.gif

Water_Bottle_Throw_Drlll_Compare.gif

Advance to performing throws.

There are more add-ins ... but this will pretty much get a player throwing fairly well.

Thanks again, what is the drill that i have seen where the back of the opposite hand is lifting up throwing elbow to keep it higher during the arm behind throwing drill? just curious if that is a good drill as well?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks again, what is the drill that i have seen where the back of the opposite hand is lifting up throwing elbow to keep it higher during the arm behind throwing drill? just curious if that is a good drill as well?

I am drawing a blank.

I can't think of a reason to have the throwing elbow higher than at the start of this drill ... and I don't see a need to place something below the elbow to lift it higher than this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22