High Level swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Are you teaching or is your kid learning the high level swing?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm not sure what my child is learning

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Nov 15, 2019
My 15yo DD has been working with a hitting instructor (DFP'er @Mike-Coach-Q ) who teaches the HLP swing based on the instruction of TM. Over the past year of working with him, my DD's quickness and power have taken noticeable steps forward. Last week, my DD was telling me how she has never felt better about her swing. This was after a BP session where she was repeatedly driving the ball 220-250'.

Before my DD started working with this instructor, there were a few concepts about the HLP that I didn't understand, especially regarding the use of the rear leg and the rear hip socket pivot point/axis. My DD's work helped me see the light. I'm not sure how I would put it into words. It was one of those things that I had to feel, and then the dots connected.

Although the HLP is gaining traction in the softball world, there are still a large majority of coaches/instructors who are teaching the swing the same way it's been taught for decades - get the front foot down early, knob to the ball, snap out front, and downward barrel path to create backspin.

This was very helpful Eric, it's great to hear some personal experience! Thanks!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
"Although the HLP is gaining traction in the softball world, there are still a large majority of coaches/instructors who are teaching the swing the same way it's been taught for decades - get the front foot down early, knob to the ball, snap out front, and downward barrel path to create backspin. "

I don't think it's either TM's HLP or this. I don't even believe (hope) the majority of instructors are teaching "get the front foot down early, knob to the ball, snap out front, and downward barrel path to create backspin. "

There probably are some old school coaches living in the dark ages but there is definitely a middle ground. It is not HL way or the highway.

I agree that there is a lot of middle ground. My understanding about swing mechanics was in the middle ground for a long time.

I have run into a lot more "dark ages" coaches than I have coaches who understand anything about concepts like TTB, HPP, FBC, etc. IME, It's been kind of surprising how many coaches refuse to evolve.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree that there is a lot of middle ground. My understanding about swing mechanics was in the middle ground for a long time.

I have run into a lot more "dark ages" coaches than I have coaches who understand anything about concepts like TTB, HPP, FBC, etc. IME, It's been kind of surprising how many coaches refuse to evolve.

Eric, there are 3 players that utilize the HI pattern (although don't know if they all still do).... There are plenty of late refuting the turning up on the ball. So I don't know where you come up with folks not evolving.. If nothing else there are a hell of allot more folks refuting the HI pattern of late... All one needs to do is listen to the pro's words in the other thread.. It's pretty crazy that the HI folks seem to think they no better then the pros.

XRu9Pmv.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, there are 3 players that utilize the HI pattern (although don't know if they all still do).... There are plenty of late refuting the turning up on the ball. So I don't know where you come up with folks not evolving.. If nothing else there are a hell of allot more folks refuting the HI pattern of late... All one needs to do is listen to the pro's words in the other thread.. It's pretty crazy that the HI folks seem to think they no better then the pros.

XRu9Pmv.gif

I'm talking about coaches I've interacted with in the real world. That's where I've come up with it. So many refusing to continue educating themselves. Refusing to evolve.

I'm really not concerned about what MLB pros are saying, or aren't saying. I know what is working for my DD. I know what she tells me about how things feel for her. I know how the changes she's made have affected the way the ball comes off her bat.

I'm not sure what you mean by "turning up on the ball", and I don't recall that being part of the HLP swing...unless you're talking about the knob. The barrel turns down. Down behind and up through contact. Bellinger, Trout, Yelich, Turner, etc., etc....

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm talking about coaches I've interacted with in the real world. That's where I've come up with it. So many refusing to continue educating themselves. Refusing to evolve.

I'm really not concerned about what MLB pros are saying, or aren't saying. I know what is working for my DD. I know what she tells me about how things feel for her. I know how the changes she's made have affected the way the ball comes off her bat.

I'm not sure what you mean by "turning up on the ball", and I don't recall that being part of the HLP swing...unless you're talking about the knob. The barrel turns down. Down behind and up through contact. Bellinger, Trout, Yelich, Turner, etc., etc....

Yea, they all swing down to the ball..

Bonds is swinging down to while the kid is turning the barrel (2 pivots).

XRu9Pmv.gif

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Does anyone have 3D swing paths from Blast, Zepp, Garmin, etc? It would be nice to see what a TTB swing looks like according to those devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog