Hey Coach, you said you wouldnt...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
easiest way to tell him to pound sand is if she is mashing the ball all over the yard. I could can care less about any hitter's mechanics, AS LONG AS THEY ARE HITTING THE BALL HARD.

Correct. However, my DD is struggling with her timing, and is hitting way below her usual self. When she squares one up, it's crushed, but it hasn't happened enough recently. The mechanical issues contributing to her struggles have been identified, but she hasn't been able to bring the adjustment into the box consistently. Coach's idea of "fixing" things is in direct conflict with her swing pattern approach, and would push her further out of where her best pattern is.

May 21, 2018
Ok, so I've run in to this many times. Most often it is the area of hitting. Most often is has to do with various drills etc. Most often, the parents don't understand the intent of various drills and the instructor doesn't use the drill(s). I think that the best response I can give as a coach is that I am a little flexible and the player can do whatever drill work. However, when that player does not produce I will replace that player with someone who does produce.

Not to sound too conceited but I know most of the instructors in my area. I would question many of their resumes and the criteria that they use to give the impression that they are experts. I have mentioned one in my area here several times on this site and others. Playing a year of pro ball doesn't make you an expert. I have also mentioned that it is clear that we don't get along. IMO, every player we get from that "expert" needs coaching. I bite my tongue and let them fail IF they can get on the field in the first place.

hmmmm......since I'm in your area I'm very curious to who this would be.:unsure:

May 21, 2018
Correct. However, my DD is struggling with her timing, and is hitting way below her usual self. When she squares one up, it's crushed, but it hasn't happened enough recently. The mechanical issues contributing to her struggles have been identified, but she hasn't been able to bring the adjustment into the box consistently. Coach's idea of "fixing" things is in direct conflict with her swing pattern approach, and would push her further out of where her best pattern is.

Hasn't your daughter built up enough "equity" in her hitting to be trusted to straighten herself out? Or at least trust in whoever has worked with her in the past?

Jul 14, 2018
I guess an important part of the question here is, at what age should players be expected to address issues with their coaches on their own?

DD is a second-year 14U, still a few weeks shy of her 14th birthday. She had a rough game recently where I was uncomfortable with the pitch selection (DD was pitching). I was girding myself to have a conversation with the coach at the next practice. When I asked DD for her input, she simply said that she already discussed the pitch selection with the coach and that they got on the same page. A proud parent moment for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hasn't your daughter built up enough "equity" in her hitting to be trusted to straighten herself out? Or at least trust in whoever has worked with her in the past?

Her equity has kept her in the #5 spot in the batting order, despite a mediocre batting average. They know what happens when she squares one up. Her coaches believe in her, but that doesn't stop some of them from wanting to "help" her - LOL.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Her equity has kept her in the #5 spot in the batting order, despite a mediocre batting average. They know what happens when she squares one up. Her coaches believe in her, but that doesn't stop some of them from wanting to "help" her - LOL.
When she goes big time D1, those will be able to take credit for helping her build her swing.

I like to take credit for a current LSU player's swing because she played on my team in the Red vs Blue season ending 10U All Star game.

May 21, 2018
When she goes big time D1, those will be able to take credit for helping her build her swing.

I like to take credit for a current LSU player's swing because she played on my team in the Red vs Blue season ending 10U All Star game.

I shag balls during batting practice occasionally. Maybe I should start my own youtube channel.

Mar 7, 2020
We video hitters who are struggling and try to explain why if it is something mechanical. They do get a varying period of time to produce before we ask them to try the change. When they can see the difference (on video) sometimes they are more open to the change.

This works for defense also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802