Helping a player through mental challenges

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JaC

Apr 29, 2023
Hi everyone,

What are some techniques you've used to help a player who gets in their head and impacts their game? I'm working with a 10 year old girl who has great skills and potential, is coachable, but gets down on herself. Once she gets in thatvheadspaxe wether it's at practice or in a game, you can see her game go down the drain.

Any ideas on how to pull her out of the hole?

Appreciate your help!

May 18, 2023
This is tough because the methods that work vary with each player.
This past year I had a senior that would get in her head after an error and I started making her physically “shake it out.” It didn’t matter if it was on the bench after a K or while in the field. It took a little while for her to fully buy in but now I catch her doing it unprompted. Shaking out every inch and coming out the other side all smiles.
I find that humor is one of the most effective things in breaking the train of self doubt, so I have a stockpile of ultra lame dad jokes ripe for the picking.
I occasionally will have a girl come up with a positive mantra or phrase that they can repeat in their head when they are in a negative headspace.
During practice I will have girls step away if they make multiple errors to take a few deep breaths and self reflect on what is going on. If you just keep hitting balls at them and they keep missing, it’s only going to accentuate the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812