Helping a pitching get stride leg down at the right time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Not that I agree with it, but some pitchers have been very successful with similar mechanics.......there was a whole thread on her. I would argue that Barnhill has same mechanics, pushes off a little bit more, but at least in this video is showing similar rear leg drive, turn and monkey butt. Not exactly the same but same style.

She also re-plants on her pitches, and whether called or not, the video clearly shows that.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
no offense but you do have to make an effort to get open. It becomes automatic once drilled in but getting to the open position is IMHO the #1 challenge developing pitchers face.

I say no! The push-off creates initial hip turn as the stride leg (knee) reaches toward the target and then once at near 12:00 o'clock, the arm rotation opens the shoulders. There doesn't need to be any conscious effort to open the hips. The photo is of Rebecca Soumeru of The Netherlands. By the way, note the bent stride knee resulting in a flat-footed plant and also reducing exaggerated stride length helping her speed and creating a healthy platform for release..

f-rebecca_soumeru13ms5.jpg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I agree with the others regarding how the torso opens. Although there are some who can pull it off and get back into a decent release posture, most allow extension of the limbs to open the body naturally. Teaching a kid to get open can be a long and windy road to recover from.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I attributed her change to increased FSR and decreased leakage resulting in increased speed and better location.

I think FSR and other issues are factors, but I think there is more to it than meets the eye. In fact it is a huge problem in my discussions with coaches here in the Philippines.
The more of an early opening of the hips, the longer or more reaching the stride, the slower the pitcher comes to a strong release. True? Girls here are taught to stride 8 feet if possible. Their stride is a reach not a powerful projection and there is little or no FSR. The photo included is of Genie Torremochia a part-time student. She turns her foot and opens up immediately. She pitches slower than it would seem. You look at Rebecca Soumeru above and her stride is what I teach.

Rebecca's pivot foot doesn't turn, her pitching arm reaches with her glove hand which in reality increases the length of her circle about 2 feet more than Genie below. Unfortunately the first goal with Genie was ball movement at age 11. I have only been with her twice, but will go there for 5 days soon. Rebecca has a bent knee, and pushes it down, gets on top of it quicker, blocks well FSR.

But what does stride length have to do with speed in this matter? Genie strides longer than Rebecca. Genie throws 56-57. Rebecca throws 63. They are the same size and weight.

Attachments

• Torremachia.jpg
    Torremachia.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802