Helping a pitching get stride leg down at the right time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Not a guru here, but I don't think I understand your clock. If she is a RHP, and you are looking at her from the right hand side. 12 is up, 6 is down, 3 is to the right (straight out in front) and 9 is to the left (towards the backside). I think normal left foot contact would be around 11 o'clock to 10 o'clock. Arm swings from a back 9 down to 6, out to a 3 (where the drive foot should separate from the rubber) up and around past 12 to 11-10 ish as the left foot strikes.

Sorry I am confused by 4 or 5 oclock in this scenario. I can only assume it is a late strike and the pitcher is at 8 or 7 oclock coming back around to 6 for release. Please clarify and more may be able to help.
yeah i screwed up the clock. too much time with digital. foot down varies between 9 and 730. been working it and getting up some to 9-10 but no where close to 12

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Without the video it is a bit tricky. Looks like there is a good starting H position, but it looks like pitcher is not driving off the mound, maybe just pushing and opening allowing the stride foot to open her body. Looks more like a push and replant. Without all the frames of the video, will be difficult, but if it is a replant, I can only imagine that is adversely affecting the timing/sequence.

Apr 12, 2015
Don't need a video for this, two frames tell the complete story:

Opendrive.jpg

First still, the twist of the back foot shows she is not driving at all. She is twisting to open rather than driving to open. Notice how her hips are completely turned and she is all of 2 inches from the rubber? She is forcing the opening rather than letting it happen. She'll never get in sequence until the beginning of the drive is corrected.

Monkeybutt.jpg

Second still, notice the foot still turned sideways. Total anchor. Notice the throwing arm is basically at full extension. No lag, no whip. Last, notice the monkey butt posture and she is attempting to clear her hips.

I know you asked about getting the stride foot down in sequence, but frankly that is the least of your concerns as it is nothing more than a symptom of more severe problems upstream. Here entire lower body mechanics need a rebuild.

May 7, 2008
good points. So your suggestion is to (1) work on straight push on drive foot ( 1.5) initiate rotation later in the push (2) drive out further with drive foot shoelaces forward all good ideas. will this help get the foot down sooner - ??? maybe if the "almost replant is eliminated"

i think i got the video converted video

but not so easy to see much at full speed!!!! slo mo

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Without the video it is a bit tricky. Looks like there is a good starting H position, but it looks like pitcher is not driving off the mound, maybe just pushing and opening allowing the stride foot to open her body. Looks more like a push and replant. Without all the frames of the video, will be difficult, but if it is a replant, I can only imagine that is adversely affecting the timing/sequence.
i think you may be correct. there are other imperfections as noted by others but the pause at the "sort of replant" is enough to slow that foot down. its only .08-.09 out of sequence.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Not that I agree with it, but some pitchers have been very successful with similar mechanics.......there was a whole thread on her. I would argue that Barnhill has same mechanics, pushes off a little bit more, but at least in this video is showing similar rear leg drive, turn and monkey butt. Not exactly the same but same style.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's always interesting to me how different people focus on different things. I look at the arm action first and always build around IR. She does not have the flexed elbow leading the downswing that is so important.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
it looks like she is coming off twisted and bent over at the hips. my thinking with my DD, when she was doing this, was that the subsequent straightening of the upper body was pulling everything upward, including her leg and foot. so, I had her stop the hip over-hinge and stand straighter, leading into the classic sprinter's pose. (plenty of pics of this) and that's how we got to the "after" pic. on a side note, I believe back of the hand should be facing the catcher on the back swing. this may also help stop the twist. just an opinion.

Sep 29, 2014
well I think this time around the holidays is great chance to work on a few things. She does have a couple bad mechanical issues but I don't think they are insurmountable....and she will have to work on both at the same time.

First is the arm it is locked out almost her whole circle there might be a slight bend at 12 but not much, she does appear to pull the ball down even though she isn't really palm up but more towards third base but for now it's OK since she never really gets hand behind ball position but she has to work on getting that arm loose, find the IR thread and start using the first back chain drill so she can start to feel what a bent arm at 9 feels like.

Second but just as important is the drive. He first motion off the mound is not a drive forward it is a twist sideways and she honestly does look a little like Barnhill but she doesn't get as much of a second push. She needs to drive forward, the first things to hit the ground should be her front foot, hard to say if she is off the ground or just dragging the back foot but it definitely replants into the ground. She can practice this inside just in the living room with no ball,. Also need to not drag the back foot as an anchor can't believe I'm saying this but if you look at the Barnhill video at release her heel is off the ground naturally finishing close to laces to catcher.

Now for some quick other info....has she ever been called for an illegal pitch leaping or replanting? What year group is she? I only ask because if she is a senior already committed this might be something we want to address a little differently in a much more incremental approach.

If you don't understand anything discussed I would be happy to walk through a couple still shots, maybe some side by sides with a model pitcher or whatever but didn't want to take all that time if you understand everything...fastest way to quick results is going to be to stop locking that arm out and get better whip but the other things still need fixed...also forgot to mention does look like she leans over a little hard to tell from the angle but straight and tall would be great cues for her in general anyway

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28