Help with understanding a call/no call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2016
Yes hold the ball at their side, as soon as you raise your arm to the throwing motion all bets are off. At a younger age i've seen teams do this to make the fielding team panic and start throwing the ball around when all they have to do is just stand there.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
OK..... so....

@mmeece is correct...

With the LBR, the runner is entitled to continue moving in the direction they are going with ONE change of direction...
  • So if the runner gets to second and stops and there are now two runners on 2B she is out as she has violated the LBR as she is no longer moving in the original direction, nor has she immediately changed direction and because she is not entitled to that base.
  • However, If the runner gets to second, immediately realizes there is another runner there and heads straight back to first, she is entitled to do so (obviously at risk as she does so).

@soonerfan1966 I am not sure how the runners managed to score here or how or when the runner ended up on third? Did they take off because they saw the runner coming or something? Because that adds a whole new layer of issues to deal with. Feels like your scenario is missing some additional details.

If there were to runners on 2nd base isn't one of them automatically out as soon as 2 players are touching the same base? Don't remember the rule exactly but thought that was in there somewhere.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If there were to runners on 2nd base isn't one of them automatically out as soon as 2 players are touching the same base? Don't remember the rule exactly but thought that was in there somewhere.
Nope, well not in USSSA anyway. The lead runner is entitled to the base; the other remains at risk of being put out.

8.6. G. Two runners may not occupy the same base simultaneously.EFFECT: The runner who first legally occupied the base shall be entitled to it, unless forced to advance. The other runner may be put out by being touched with the ball

May 11, 2014
Am I correct in assuming if either second or third base players step off their base before an "attempt to make a play", then they would be out for leaving their base early

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Am I correct in assuming if either second or third base players step off their base before an "attempt to make a play", then they would be out for leaving their base early

Since the runner on third scored I am assuming the pitcher threw the ball to either second or first which would allow all base runners to go if the pitcher attempts to make a play on the BR.

May 11, 2014
Nope, no throw, nor a fake throw. She only brought the ball up to the throwing position. I consider a fake throw as being the arm going forward.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Nope, no throw, nor a fake throw. She only brought the ball up to the throwing position. I consider a fake throw as being the arm going forward.
Bringing the ball up to a throwing position is considered making a play. Look back rule off, runners free to do whatever they like.

USSSA relevant text
" pitcher is considered to be playing on the runner(s) when the throwing arm is raised or any forward movement of the body is made toward the runner. Movement of the head is not considered an attempted play."

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802