Help with this issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 17, 2021
Im just getting caught up. Thank you for the detailed response. I will study it and report back!
Want to add that (1) the optimal point of contact of the barrel with the pitch in relation to her body is around the heel/arch area of the front foot when viewed from across the plate and the pitch is down the middle for a stride that is shoulder width or slightly wider.

Also, when using the "hips first, hands follow" swing sequence (versus a "hands first" or "hands & hips together" sequence), she may need to setup further away from the plate. To establish the correct distance, lay the bat across the plate so the end of the barrel and the outside edge of the plate are aligned with the knob pointing towards her feet. The front edge of her shoes should align with knob of her bat.

"Hips first, hands follow" will allow her to hit the pitch deeper with wider plate coverage, and making it easier to adjust to inside pitches because she is further back from the inside corner.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Want to add that (1) the optimal point of contact of the barrel with the pitch in relation to her body is around the heel/arch area of the front foot when viewed from across the plate and the pitch is down the middle for a stride that is shoulder width or slightly wider.

Also, when using the "hips first, hands follow" swing sequence (versus a "hands first" or "hands & hips together" sequence), she may need to setup further away from the plate. To establish the correct distance, lay the bat across the plate so the end of the barrel and the outside edge of the plate are aligned with the knob pointing towards her feet. The front edge of her shoes should align with knob of her bat.

"Hips first, hands follow" will allow her to hit the pitch deeper with wider plate coverage, and making it easier to adjust to inside pitches because she is further back from the inside corner.

You definitely need to define hips first or how you achieve hips first?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you check the loading sequence. I think the hands are loading too soon before the shoulders.. and the shoulders aren’t independent of the torso. Basically all turning together. That’s where the collapse comes from. Less stability and more trapped (no ROM) breeds less control. Getting the shoulders to slide before the hands work/load away is key.

1639929217519.gif

1639928043747.gifOne arm swings where the shoulders have to load independently from the torso to swing would be my recommendation. Or moving the hands in tight to make the shoulders react instead of pushing the hands back early and by-passing the shoulder slide/load for stability is what I would try. That’s how I would get the hips to ‘lead’ in space. A sequential loading. Load in order will stabilize at the right time and launching in order should be the result.

1639928949143.gif

But for me I would fix the axis of rotation (posture) first and then move to the hands/shoulders.

edit: not a fan of ‘get your elbows here or there.’ I try to get it naturally.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If you check the loading sequence. I think the hands are loading too soon before the shoulders.. and the shoulders aren’t independent of the torso. Basically all turning together. That’s where the collapse comes from. Less stability and more trapped (no ROM) breeds less control. Getting the shoulders to slide before the hands work/load away is key.

View attachment 24674

Good drill IMO..Marcela starts her front toss sessions with about 20 of these (baseballs,short bat). Heck even TM endorses it..

Ldcnija.gif

Nov 26, 2020
What are they working with her on?
It's basically their program. Scap load, hands above the ball, hip hinge, finish, etc. They are pretty much working on everything at once but they are patient and the lessons have been over an hour. They are big on North/South vs East/West bat path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12