Help with this issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
P, I think maybe the break down is the way WW is saying "the front hip"is lower. That's confusing. He should be simply saying the entire pelvis is tilted or angled and the front side towards the plate is lower than the back. Does that help?

I think what happened was W said something not true and then P called him on it and now we've had 3 pages of W trying to spin what he had originally said.

Jun 8, 2016
P, I think maybe the break down is the way WW is saying "the front hip"is lower. That's confusing. He should be simply saying the entire pelvis is tilted or angled and the front side towards the plate is lower than the back. Does that help?
Not really..I see (qualitative) differences in the angles with Pujols and Alo but whatever…I accomplished the starting sh#% I mentioned last night 😂

Oct 2, 2017
I think what happened was W said something not true and then P called him on it and now we've had 3 pages of W trying to spin what he had originally said.
Oh, I really haven't followed that closely. And have no skin in this one lol.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Appreciate the try though 😃
No problem. Just trying to clear it up if I could which failed between hip angle of catcher to pitcher in direction vs towards the plate and away from the plate. It can get confusing as to which is in view. 😃 No cookie cutting the swing, it varies across the board!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

thats a good way to put it. Although I don’t like the pelvis getting closer to the plate. Should pivot around the center of the pelvis or the spine. I was just piggy backing off the gradum movement guy. He brought up a detail that I have found interesting and worthy of noting.

for the folks who don’t understand. If your loading on a tilted axis (posture) the back hip will get higher then the front hip. It happens in golf all day everyday so I don’t know why it’s so hard to see in baseball/softball. It is a bit smaller but same thing. The Barry clip I posted shows this pretty well also. It’s how you get ‘down hill’ so to speak.

1639842898042.gif

How about Stan? I see it.

1639843354777.gif

Nov 26, 2020
Off-topic but what system are you using that automatically switches views like that? That was nice..
It's a mevo but it's not automatic. One of the dads has a whole set up and works the camera as the game is going on. He's on youtube as Florida Softball Network.

Nov 26, 2020
I'm new here, but have over 30 years experience working with hitters. Along the way, I've studied Ted William's, Charlie Lau, Right View Pro, and Bobby Tewksbary.

You're correct that Cameron's front elbow is dropping at or just past contact and hands are turning over too early. Although it may appear to be a single issue, it involves a number components in the swing sequence. I'll focus first on a possible "quick fix".

When her stride foot plants (toe-heel), I suggest that she point the knob of her bat, which was pointing towards the catcher, towards the pitch by rotating her front elbow up to the top of the strikezone and her back elbow under her top hand while her front leg and hip begin to pivot open and her back hip and knee start to center up with the knee eventually moving under the back hip. The back elbow and knee should start forward at the same time. The barrel should now be on plane behind the back shoulder with her lead arm across her torso. Right angles should exist with both the front and back forearms and the bat.

This creates a "hips first, hands follow" swing sequence as the forward movement of the hands is delayed until the back elbow "catches up" to the hands during its rotation. This sequence is used by the best hitters in baseball and softball.

As her hip rotation continues, you can check "connection" when the hands begin to pass her back shoulder going forward. Her top hand, back elbow, and "stripe of her pants" should align vertically at this point, looking from across the plate. Her belly button and knob of her bat should point towards the pitcher, looking from the pitcher's view. The barrel of the bat is level with the ground at connection.

So now, we want the knob and her hands to move up and inside the ball to adjust to the location of the pitch. She does this by transitioning from using the rotation of the elbows to point the knob forward to now rotating her upper body to face the pitch to move her hands inside the ball in time with the pitch. She should feel like she is opening her body behind her lead arm. Her back elbow is positioned so it can launch with the hands away from the shoulder with the bottom hand "palm down" in relation to the plane (keeping the front shoulder in), and the top hand "palm up" so the back elbow can help the hands follow the ball following the hit. The hands should extend out and rotate to an "handshake" position (power V) before the hands rotate over and elbow drops. At contact, looking from the pitcher's view, there should be a straight line from lead shoulder through the end of the bat at contact.

There are other potential issues that may need to be looked at before planting the stride foot occurs, but try this and see if it helps. Any questions, please let me know.
Im just getting caught up. Thank you for the detailed response. I will study it and report back!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse