Help with my 14U daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2021
The reason I said use the hands is she had a ton of slop in her swing, arm action. You want to cut out the middle guy (arms) and focus on the hands.

Oh for sure. What's weird is she doesn't do it as much on the tee. I feel like she thinks maybe she will hit it further if she uses her arms and kinds winds them up. To be honest, I'm not sure. I never in my life had a hitting instructor as a kid, and my swing looks light years ahead of hers. I'm assuming its something bad she got in the habit of using.

Feb 18, 2021
She might need a few more tweaks after the stance/posture change. So work on some stuff. video and post.

Just 30 minutes of dry swings so not expecting much. She is still moving those hands before you drops her front foot down. My guess is she using that front foot to time her swing. She's also casting back towards the catcher.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Just 30 minutes of dry swings so not expecting much. She is still moving those hands before you drops her front foot down. My guess is she using that front foot to time her swing. She's also casting back towards the catcher.

this is better. What was the result? Try to get her to create a load w minimal head movement back within a good set up. This should load the lead shoulder better. Also keep the knees facing the plate as long as she can. Dry swings. Tee also. Film and post.

Feb 18, 2021
this is better. What was the result? Try to get her to create a load w minimal head movement back within a good set up. This should load the lead shoulder better. Also keep the knees facing the plate as long as she can. Dry swings. Tee also. Film and post.

It a flyout to center, but she had popped out to the infield 5 straight at bats so it's a start. You can tell she's losing a lot of her power by casting her hands out like that. I will get some video of dry swings this week. Thank you!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Her lowerbody looks pretty good. The swing upperbody plunges downward with a upright posture.

Here is a swing that matches the posture tilt. No dropping of the hands.

giphy.gif

Tilt over the plate to swing on plane.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In the last few days I’ve been thinking of the cue take the back shoulder to the ball. Which is really just tilt over the plate.

Feb 18, 2021
In the last few days I’ve been thinking of the cue take the back shoulder to the ball. Which is really just tilt over the plate.

Funny you say that because I was just saying that to her yesterday, going through the drill when she rotating her hips and bringing back elbow down and in. I told her to imagine that she is hitting (not literally) the ball with her back shoulder.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Funny you say that because I was just saying that to her yesterday, going through the drill when she rotating her hips and bringing back elbow down and in. I told her to imagine that she is hitting (not literally) the ball with her back shoulder.

My thinking was it would be a good cue to maintain posture like the Sosa clip. Instead of being erect you would create posture and then maintain the tilt as you take the back shoulder to the ball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It a flyout to center, but she had popped out to the infield 5 straight at bats so it's a start. You can tell she's losing a lot of her power by casting her hands out like that. I will get some video of dry swings this week. Thank you!

the cast is bc the lead shoulder doesn’t leverage early enough. She has to create force from somewhere right?

so if you can get her head to stay still(in front of her belly button)during her ‘load’, the lead shoulder will load down and in and the hands can connect to the torso earlier. Make sense?

1618520921604.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just 30 minutes of dry swings so not expecting much.

What was the instruction on these 'dry swings'.
I see bat drag and arm barring. Swing powered by arm power and body rotation.
Like some one already said your DD needs to learn to use her HANDS to turn the barrel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279