Help with my 14U daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I am at a loss for weight transfer stuff. My DD eliminated her stride to eliminate alot of 'noise', and it seemed to help. Not condoning it, she just has no clue on balance. Her body doesn't work that way, and she complains about not having any balance all the time. So i tried to eliminate the argument.

in any case, what it allowed her to do was focus on the pressure she was putting into her back foot. I am not sure if we have it correct, but I had followed Eric_F and his DD Maddie and her journey, and one thing he told me was the clockwise rotation of the back foot putting external rotation pressure on the rear leg. It helps the hips 'slide' over as the core torques the torso.

There is a golf video that i think Boardmember posted a long time back about 'the move' and it was on a sevam1 youtube channel (i have attached). I really think this can be used with both stride and no stride, but has helped my DD quite a bit. Gonna use it in my golf game too:).

With any significant move backwards towards the catcher, my DD got all out of sorts. I wanted to at least focus on getting alot of the 'swing' part fixed, and then the pre and post stuff can come later.

still not sure if it is working or will help. HS ball just started this weekend, so we shall see.

If you get into the back heel, the move is an automatic. Or at least the reasoning of why to do it.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
If you get into the back heel, the move is an automatic. Or at least the reasoning of why to do it.
This was/is an issue still for my DD. There are many ways to possibly interpret this.

What do you mean by 'get into the back heel'? And when i ask what do you mean, i am asking for specific body feels i guess.

And i don't know the history of 'the move' as it is defined in hitting. So if you can possibly explain, it may be helpful. Thanks.

Feb 25, 2020
Toe is quads, heel is glutes/hammies. You can either pull your foot behind you(with posterior chain) to propel you forward. Or you can push your foot away with knee extension.

Posterior chain is preferred as it also tilts the pelvis(moves torso) when it is used. Posterior chain moves the whole body. Anterior chain just moves the legs.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Toe is quads, heel is glutes/hammies. You can either pull your foot behind you(with posterior chain) to propel you forward. Or you can push your foot away with knee extension.

Posterior chain is preferred as it also tilts the pelvis(moves torso) when it is used. Posterior chain moves the whole body. Anterior chain just moves the legs.

So the ‘pull’ would be like the Pujols batting practice rear leg slipping video? What some call scissoring? Are you actively digging heel in to ground trying to scrape the ground backwards? And by ‘push’ you just mean the opposite?

When I try this standing in a hitting position I don’t feel that I can do this. No leverage to pull or push. Maybe just me.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
So the ‘pull’ would be like the Pujols batting practice rear leg slipping video? What some call scissoring? Are you actively digging heel in to ground trying to scrape the ground backwards? And by ‘push’ you just mean the opposite?

When I try this standing in a hitting position I don’t feel that I can do this. No leverage to pull or push. Maybe just me.

Edit: I do ‘feel’ something at ‘launch’ but really not sure that it is my intended power source. Meaning I don’t try to ‘push’ or ‘pull’ the back leg for power. It is more there as leverage to stay put. That’s why I have an issue with the tennis player gif.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This was/is an issue still for my DD. There are many ways to possibly interpret this.

What do you mean by 'get into the back heel'? And when i ask what do you mean, i am asking for specific body feels i guess.

And i don't know the history of 'the move' as it is defined in hitting. So if you can possibly explain, it may be helpful. Thanks.

i mean weight the back heel during gather. other factors come into play of course. Posture, upper body position(resistance). I’m a believer in loading against the head/spine to aid the balance of the move out and the hitting position. Which is more down(vertical) than back and forth(horizontal).

it helps maintain space as well, hips stay flexed, balance can be maintained, staying closed is easier. If you get into your toes, you will lose space(posture), your legs will open early and you will launch the lower to early. Which is drag or EHE.

there are two shifts during the swing. one from back to front(up/down)and the load/shift in the sagittal plane, which is launch. If you can’t stay in your heel/butt, the first shift will be leaky and the second will be early.

There are many ways to get into the heel. Set up(spine/shin angle),getting into your butt, weighting the heel, getting the chest over the plate. Dorsiflexion also. It all depends on what works for you.

if you can attain this heel ‘load’. The firing sequence usually takes care of itself If one has good hands. I refer to this as the stretch reflex. Did I answer your question?

here’s a good explanation.

1619623987134.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
if you can attain this heel ‘load’. The firing sequence usually takes care of itself If one has good hands. I refer to this as the stretch reflex. Did I answer your question?
Not sure, lemme think on it. is the load a downward pressure like squatting the hips into the inner rear heel? This is how i originally thought of the 'coil into rear heel'.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Here she is at toe touch, notice:
1. front leg is not bent (bad) - this means she is striding forward with front leg, not the back
2. rear forearm is not flat/horizontal, which leads to bat drag, and pushing the arms to reach the ball
3. The bat head angle is good

2021-0428-1.JPG

Here she is at contact, notice:
1. The front knee is bent (bad). It should be bent at toe touch, and straighten to contact
2. the tee is way too far forward. it should be where the ball of the front foot lands
2. Both biceps are way away from the torso (bad), resulting from initial bat drag and tee placement
2021-0428-2.JPG

So, fix the tee placement, the rear forearm, and the stride.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Not sure, lemme think on it. is the load a downward pressure like squatting the hips into the inner rear heel? This is how i originally thought of the 'coil into rear heel'.

yes. Pressure into the heel while gathering and creating posture. The head needs to stay neutral during this phase. Coil into the rear heel is counter rotation, which should be the result of maintaining the heel load and staying closed as you go forward. Not an active movement. this in turn should load the shoulders back while going forward If the head is in a good position at this phase. As well as the hands maintaining their position relative to the body depending on handset ofc.

1619630151409.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812