Help with my 14U daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
the OP dd is just getting back to far then her middle/upper gets stuck. Different problems same solution imo. Her first swing posted there wasn’t a stretch reflex. she somewhat fixed her posture via the chest/knees and a stretch reflex appeared. The drag decreased significantly as well.

Bolded above, i work better with visuals. Can you show the comparison where the drag decreased from the original?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
edit: @fanboi22 I think you can see the hands catch up to the Casty elbow much quicker at the midline in the second game swing. As opposed to the first one Where the hands are still behind at the back hip Slot position or whatever folks call it.

I went a head and pulled some clips. The hands and elbow start relatively the same, however the barrel is higher in the second.

By the second frame the newer swing has hands below the waist.

The frame before contact, it looks like the 'brakes' are on and the down to is starting to come up thru.

Contact seems to be roughly at the same height and extension.

Looking at these, the second is def better.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.36.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.36.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.48.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.48.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.48.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.48.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.49.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.49.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.50.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.49.57 AM.png

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Seems to all start here at the pre toe touch clip. Front shoulder looks to be downward, barrel a little higher on the same height handset, or the same alignment just more 'up' because of more tilt over plate.

But as you mention W=W, the posture and flatter back looks to be creating a better launch position.

It looks like a change of posture has helped significantly. Even though she may be reaching with the front leg, it doesn't look like it as much. I believe that a better posture forces a better movement pattern. This is one i will have to get my DD better at. Along with loading the hands better for sure.

I still see the hands needing to be used in the swing better as there is still arm bar and drag, but i think W=W mentioned tweaks will need to be made.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.01.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.01.11 AM.png

Feb 18, 2021
Seems to all start here at the pre toe touch clip. Front shoulder looks to be downward, barrel a little higher on the same height handset, or the same alignment just more 'up' because of more tilt over plate.

But as you mention W=W, the posture and flatter back looks to be creating a better launch position.

It looks like a change of posture has helped significantly. Even though she may be reaching with the front leg, it doesn't look like it as much. I believe that a better posture forces a better movement pattern. This is one i will have to get my DD better at. Along with loading the hands better for sure.

I still see the hands needing to be used in the swing better as there is still arm bar and drag, but i think W=W mentioned tweaks will need to be made.

View attachment 21835
View attachment 21836
Yes, we've been working the posture suggestions made on here. I'm still at a loss on how to fix the weight transfer. She seems to be keeping mist her weight, head back after her load. I almost feel like if her load was shorter, like the video posted a few pages back where the hitter almost did a short hop back then focused on moving the weight back towards the pitcher would help some of her balance issues. We have a game at 5, so we'll see if she puts the practice to use or falls back to old muscle memory.

Feel free to see newest video on page 7

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yes, we've been working the posture suggestions made on here. I'm still at a loss on how to fix the weight transfer. She seems to be keeping mist her weight, head back after her load. I almost feel like if her load was shorter, like the video posted a few pages back where the hitter almost did a short hop back then focused on moving the weight back towards the pitcher would help some of her balance issues. We have a game at 5, so we'll see if she puts the practice to use or falls back to old muscle memory.
I am at a loss for weight transfer stuff. My DD eliminated her stride to eliminate alot of 'noise', and it seemed to help. Not condoning it, she just has no clue on balance. Her body doesn't work that way, and she complains about not having any balance all the time. So i tried to eliminate the argument.

in any case, what it allowed her to do was focus on the pressure she was putting into her back foot. I am not sure if we have it correct, but I had followed Eric_F and his DD Maddie and her journey, and one thing he told me was the clockwise rotation of the back foot putting external rotation pressure on the rear leg. It helps the hips 'slide' over as the core torques the torso.

There is a golf video that i think Boardmember posted a long time back about 'the move' and it was on a sevam1 youtube channel (i have attached). I really think this can be used with both stride and no stride, but has helped my DD quite a bit. Gonna use it in my golf game too:).

With any significant move backwards towards the catcher, my DD got all out of sorts. I wanted to at least focus on getting alot of the 'swing' part fixed, and then the pre and post stuff can come later.

still not sure if it is working or will help. HS ball just started this weekend, so we shall see.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812