Help with my 14U daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
If I remember correctly TM wanted the leg to burst to launch the swing? correct me if I’m wrong. this vid is much better.. the sequence I agree with. but the hands are active to me at the start. they aren’t pinned to shoulder tilt. i think it’s the exact opposite.

Thoughts on Jr. and Bustos? hands are probing their position before shoulder tilt and actually opens/tilts the shoulders with their intended path. These clips were posted on purpose for pitch location.

View attachment 22532

View attachment 22533

I do think TM has gotten better. But he’s gotta get rid of the cast at ‘go’ and create an adjustable Hpp.

My point is that a lot of these swing have similar principles. Richard adjustability come in the teaching of lazering the ball with the knob. He gets view as and often teaches in absolutes but in reality several things are happening at or near the same time.

As he’s moved from walking away from the hands to pinching the back muscles and holding it to the spine to preform the on and around properly, the leveraging in the back hip becomes primarily and front leg is assisting for balance thus causing a suddenness of the snap and improvement in TTB deeper. Sometimes viewed as swinging down turning the barrel up. IMO the back muscles are under used in the female swing and lots of power is left at the plate. I want my little girls to hit like big girls.

Don’t leave out the core but it’s assisting the hip, glutes, and back muscles because of the one legged launch. Their role increases as you use and weight the front leg , push the knob to the ball and turn the barrel by all means the core is you go to muscles I can clearly see that.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My point is that a lot of these swing have similar principles. Richard adjustability come in the teaching of lazering the ball with the knob. He gets view as and often teaches in absolutes but in reality several things are happening at or near the same time.

As he’s moved from walking away from the hands to pinching the back muscles and holding it to the spine to preform the on and around properly, the leveraging in the back hip becomes primarily and front leg is assisting for balance thus causing a suddenness of the snap and improvement in TTB deeper. Sometimes viewed as swinging down Turning the barrel up. IMO the back muscles are under used in the female swing and lots of power is left behind.

so he advocates for an ‘oppo’ approach right? I agree. But if the hpp is glued to the shoulder and he only adjusts the knob and tilt which are the same thing imo. how does one get to an inside pitch out front and make the arc shorter when adjusting? I don’t think it’s doable. It’s hit foul or the hitter gets jammed.

Without ‘free’ hands getting to inside heat is a crap shoot. Or a guess for the most part. Is that the approach, guess inside? Open up early? Abandon the oppo approach?

I don’t believe in ‘power‘ mechanics. Thats a flawed approach imo. mechanics are for efficiency. power is relative to the player. And their ability to create force in short windows.

thats the problem when teaching a kid to achieve more power. IT ALWAYS COMES WITH A PRICE OF EFFICIENCY. ALWAYS.

Edit: softball girls don’t need power. Do you see a lot of fly outs at the warning track? Or do you see girls rollover, pop up, get jammed and hit flares more often? Girls need efficiency. When a girl ‘squares’ it. It’s gone. Their reaction times rival baseball and sometimes exceeds them. And without the same amount of mass/muscle to create force, teaching girls to be ‘stronger’( in their swing) is the wrong way to go about it. Especially with their upper body.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802