Help with hitting, please!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Please excuse the length of the video. I have no clue how to cut it down to just a snippet. Please give me some advice for my dd on her hitting - form and such. She asked me to video and post so she can get some feedback! Thanks! :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

111kmfp.jpg

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
I agree with Chris--she's too upright--no loading of her legs. My biggest issue, though, would be that there doesn't seem to be any violent intent. There isn't any intensity anywhere in the swing, from set-up to follow through. This girl has a solid frame--my guess is she is pretty strong, but I don't see her using any of that strength to generate speed. Anyway, that's the stuff I would work on first.

Oct 12, 2009
My biggest issue, though, would be that there doesn't seem to be any violent intent. There isn't any intensity anywhere in the swing, from set-up to follow through. This girl has a solid frame--my guess is she is pretty strong, but I don't see her using any of that strength to generate speed. Anyway, that's the stuff I would work on first.

I see this as well, but would prioritize it a little lower.

At the end of the day a crappy swing, executed with lots of intent, is still a crappy swing.

Five frame swing - THANKS oodles for breaking it down for me!!! She has cage practice today at school. When she gets home, we are going to go over this because she has a 2 hour practice tomorrow night. Seeing it in slow motion certainly puts it in better perspective and will be easier for her to see what is happening. Y'all are awesome to help with your advice and yes, she is an extremely strong girl - should be knocking it to the outfield at every at bat!! :)

Feb 26, 2010
West Chicago Il
From the angle of the video, your daughter is standing too close to the plate. If you don't believe me watch where the catcher's glove goes to catch the ball and another clue is watching your daughters hands after she hits the ball, she opens her hands up a couple of times after her swings and looks down at her hands like she grabbed something too hot, which indicates she is hitting the ball on the bat handle which provides no power along with stinging her hands, not rotating those hips and staying back behind the ball when she makes contact causes a loss of power and bat speed. It doesn't matter how good a technique a hitter has, if they don't hit the ball consistently on the sweet spot of the barrel you can't hit for a high average.

Bobby B.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Five frame swing - THANKS oodles for breaking it down for me!!! She has cage practice today at school. When she gets home, we are going to go over this because she has a 2 hour practice tomorrow night. Seeing it in slow motion certainly puts it in better perspective and will be easier for her to see what is happening. Y'all are awesome to help with your advice and yes, she is an extremely strong girl - should be knocking it to the outfield at every at bat!! :)

I've found that even girls that aren't "extremely strong" will "knock" the ball to the outfield consistently when they use a proper swing plane.

As an FYI, if you right-click on the GIF there will be an option to save it to your computer. You can then open it up with a tool such as QuickTime and view it on a frame-by-frame basis. That may help see the details even better.

Enjoy the journey.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
She has poor weight shift. I see this with most girls we work with. Squish the bug, stepping open on the front foot. Why Howard has posted on here many times about learning to throw first. If she throws like she swings , she will have no power and will complain about a sore arm.

Jan 25, 2010
i'd like to see her not shifting the weight forward so much. i'd also like to see her "sitting" on the back leg more on follow-thru. by sitting, i mean the back knee/foot rotates and bends toward the pitcher and will hold the majority of her weight. rear shoulder and knee will be lined up pretty close. u could have her turn her toes in a little (both feet) as this would help with the sitting. the front leg stays straight and provides the puch back while leverage is created with the hips. maybe stride a little longer too. or even go to a heel drop instead. you will hear the power when the ball leaves the bat...no "ting!" sound. nonetheless, i think she has a very good starting point to becoming a powerful hitter.

after she's comfortable with whatever form you end up with, push the intensity. i tell my dd "angry swings! i want to see hatred on your face when you're swinging!" as long as the anger is controlled, a nice aggressive swing is the result.

i have no credentials, but this is how i teach both my boys and girls teams and have had quite a bit of luck with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee