Help with Curve Ball and Rise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2008
:cool:Hi Everybody, My name is Anderson I´m a Venezuelan Left Handed Pitcher, I need help with my curve ball because I can´t to control this pitch sometimes is to high and others is too short.
I need too begin to learn the rise pitch because Venezuela have a so tough softball male league, and the pitchers need all the possible pitches to mantein in the top.

In expect your information.

thanks.:cool:

May 9, 2008
Pitching Video

Hi Anderson,

What age level are you pitching at? How many years have you been pitching? Are you a beginner, intermediate or advanced pitcher? How many pitches do you throw? How many different pitches have you mastered?

You might want to look at the free downloads that are available from pitching coach Cindy Bristow at Softball Excellence she has some excellent advice that you can gain a lot of information from.

On the curve ball she has a pdf file that you can download for free that offers the following advice.

"1. No Break = Flipping elbow away from the side = snap the thumb at the target = use a light weight foam ball in your drills

2. No Break = Hand is staying in-line with the target on release point = instead of crossing the body to the opposite side hip = Door knob drill, use spinners to strengthen your wrist.

3. Too High = Bending back instead of into the release = use One Knee drill

4. Too High = Thowing the ball up first instead of out = use Net drill

5. Side Ways Spin = Turning palm toward catcher at release instead of leading with the little finger = Football (American) drill, Spinner drill

6. Side Ways Spin = Hand not under ball at release due to hips shutting too soon = Eliminate the hips and follow through, hand not hips"

If you are just learning some new pitches be patient with yourself. It takes time, practice, and a lot of hard work to perfect pitches. I'd advise you to only work on one new pitch at a time. That way you can concentrate your full efforts and learn it the right way.

Do you have a pitching coach? If you don't it might be a good idea to find someone who is experienced that can help you hands on.

Good Luck,

Pops

P.S. Is it true that gasoline is selling for 12 cents a gallon where you live?:)

Jul 3, 2008
Thanks Pops

Hi Pops, thanks for yours pithing tips, for response yours questions, I´m a Beginner Pitcher, I have 5 years Pitching, I throw 3 Pitches (Fastball, Change and the curve ball) I mastered Just two pitches (Fastball and Change) the fastball have between 80 - 85 mph in good ubication and move; but the curve ball I can´t to control sometimes is too high and others is too short (Wildpitch) and just sometimes this pitch have a excelent rotation and ubication.

I expect for yours comments

Venezuelan Pitcher.

Answer your PD: Yes. Here in Venezuela the gasoline gallon is selling for 12 cents the premium and the regular is selling for 10 cents a gallon.

May 9, 2008
Keep Working

Hi Anderson,

It sounds like you are more than a beginning pitcher to me if you have been throwing for 5 years, have a fastball, a change up mastered, and throw in the 80's. A good fastball and change up can be very effective if used in the proper way.

Have you had a chance to try the two tips from Cindy Bristow for the curve being too high in my last post? Proper grip, balance, weight transfer, and wrist snap also come into play on the curve. It's tough to diagnose without actually seeing you throw. Can you post a video of your pitching on Youtube?

Are there any good pitching coaches where you are? If not try and get the best advice you can find from other older more experienced pitchers in your area. Or maybe someone else on this forum more experienced than I can help you more with your technique. I always look for the best teachers I can find and then try and follow their example. Did you check out the website link I provided in my last post? A google search will give you some more options. House of Pitching, Cheri Kempf and others are a good place to start.

Maybe I can send you some money and have you mail me a few hundred gallons of gas. The same $80 I spent on my last 20 gallon fill-up would buy me 800 gallons in your country. I'll check on the UPS shipping rates from Venezuela. LOL:rolleyes:

Good Luck,

Pops

Jul 3, 2008
Thank you Very Much

Hi again Pops, ok I´m go to post a video of my pitching in youtube I´ll tell you when it´s there.
I conversed with coaches, older pitchers and they help me with my fastball, and change It´s for that help because increasing the speed in the fastball, but the curve ball no better, I trained four days per week because the weekends have games, the pitch has better slowly but with yours and the Cyndy tips I´m sure to I will better in short time.

I visited the Cindy Bristow Web Side and dowloading 6 pdf information.

If I want to send you the gas you can stay sure to I will do.

thank you Pops
I will write you later.

If you want to learn a good curveball just find out who coaches the Venezuela Womens national team pitchers. It appears to be their best pitch. They tend to telegraph it when it comes out of their glove so you may have to be certain to keep the wrist position the same as all other pitches until release.

Rick

Jul 3, 2008
Thanks for your Support

Thank You for all your support y recomendations, I´ll work hard to increase my speed and control in my pitches, Thank You very much.

See you next time

Anderson Calderon
(Venezuelan Pitcher)
acalderonnavas@gmail.com
Valencia, Carabobo - Venezuela.

May 9, 2008
Advice

Hi Anderson,

I spoke with my daughters pitching coach about your questions. He said that if the ball is coming up short of the plate then you are turning your hand over too much and turning your curve ball into a drop. Have you had any luck in finding a good coach in your area?

Best Regards,

Pops

P.S. I'm glad to be your friend:)

Jul 3, 2008
Excelent

:DHi Pops, thanks for your support, I´m worked in my pitches with your recomendations and with the Cindy´s Page pdf.
The curve are too better, I´m will work too hard to increase the control, move and speed, The pitching coach to the Carabobo State Selection invited me to practice with the my state selection.
I hope win a place in the pitching rotation.

Thanks for everything

Answer your PD: Thanks for to be my friend.

I´ll write you soon.

Anderson Calderon
acalderonnavas@gmail.com
:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802