Help with an absolutely brand new pitcher.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
My DD#2 (Turns 10 this month) played one year of rec ball in 6U. She has been at the ball park basically since she was born following DD#1 around the country. DD#2 has decided she wants to play again and wants to learn to pitch. I need some serious help. DD#1 is a natural athlete and will be signing to play ball in college in a couple of months as an outfielder. I had no problem teachign that. I have no idea where to start with a kid that has no clue what she is doing. She has played soccer the last 3 years and really hasnt picked up a softball.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 18, 2015
Go read through the stickies on I/R in the classroom.

Watch the Rich Balswick videos a few times (where he talks about keeping everything “square”), the Rick Pauly videos, and of course, the videos posted by JavaSource (I think they’re titled “I/R Drills for Beginners”).

Also check out the link in KenB’s signature that has all of the above plus more categorized with links to discussions and videos.

Teach yourself at the same time.

And focus on playing catch underhand. Don’t call it pitching. Don’t try a windup. Just play catch, underhand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
When DD first started, we looked to the travel organization she played for to instruct her in pitching basics. Luckily, we had an older girl teach the basics (correctly) and it didn't cost me a small fortune. Unfortunately for my wallet, DD really enjoyed pitching and eventually we hired a certified pitching coach to help improve her game. The sooner you teach good mechanics the better. It's terribly difficult for these girls to re-learn how to pitch once they've been taught incorrectly.

Jul 22, 2015

And focus on playing catch underhand. Don’t call it pitching. Don’t try a windup. Just play catch, underhand.

These things are both so important. Learn from all of the info on this site. LEARN it so you know if someone is teaching her incorrect mechanics. Also, focus the early phase of learning on being able to play catch underhand. Until she can do a good job of that, don't add in a pitching motion.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My DD#2 (Turns 10 this month) played one year of rec ball in 6U. She has been at the ball park basically since she was born following DD#1 around the country. DD#2 has decided she wants to play again and wants to learn to pitch. I need some serious help. DD#1 is a natural athlete and will be signing to play ball in college in a couple of months as an outfielder. I had no problem teachign that. I have no idea where to start with a kid that has no clue what she is doing. She has played soccer the last 3 years and really hasnt picked up a softball.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Give me a call if you'd like to set up an online lesson. 765-914-3047

Aug 3, 2020

Watch the Rich Balswick videos a few times (where he talks about keeping everything “square”), the Rick Pauly videos, and of course, the videos posted by JavaSource (I think they’re titled “I/R Drills for Beginners”).

Also check out the link in KenB’s signature that has all of the above plus more categorized with links to discussions and videos.

This is the best advice you can get. My daughter is going into 12U she has had a pitching coach for over 2 years (she is just 10 now). The one thing we did not do, was play catch. She was inconsistent on the mound. Since we started just playing catch, her control has increased substantially. I am sitting here shocked that none of her coaches ever suggested that we just play catch.

I pitched men's fastpitch in college (some 35 years ago) we did not have coaches, I started throwing underhand after hurting my shoulder. Over time of playing catch that way (while playing slow pitch) I could throw, and throw hard. Self taught how to make the ball move and a guy watching me warm up approached me to come try out for his team. It was not long before I was pitching in Open tournaments and winning. All I ever did was play catch.

Given I did not have any "professional" instruction, I was reluctant to do any coaching of my daughter. I am still amazed at how much better her control has gotten in a short period of time, but it makes complete sense.

Good luck!

Oct 25, 2009

"Teach yourself (learn) at the same time" will be so valuable for you, your DD, and most likely other girls in your journey!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598