Help us get it right.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2019
Thanks guys. As much as I would like to be the one training and teaching her I am having a hard time understanding a lot of the jargon and cues. Maybe I can get myself a hitting coach HA!

I played some little league 25yrs ago and play slow pitch now at 40yrs old. I doubt my swing would help her at all.

RichK - unless someone starts being directly and obviously derogatory towards myself or my DD, you have no worries about offending me when providing advice/criticism. Some people are too sensitive.....I am not 😂.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks guys. As much as I would like to be the one training and teaching her I am having a hard time understanding a lot of the jargon and cues. Maybe I can get myself a hitting coach HA!

RichK - unless someone starts being directly and obviously derogatory towards myself or my DD, you have no worries about offending me when providing advice/criticism. Some people are too sensitive.....I am not 😂.
If you are going to be the one helping her, you need to learn. Ask questions..

Jun 12, 2019
Then prepare to be peppered, of all the sports my kids have played this is the one I have the least knowledge of, and the only one I am unable to coach.

You guys are going to have to talk to me like the new girl that's never held a bat.

Jun 12, 2019
This could become a VERY long thread. My biggest worry is that she just turned 11 and is moving to 12U in the upcoming season.

Jun 8, 2016
This could become a VERY long thread. My biggest worry is that she just turned 11 and is moving to 12U in the upcoming season.
We do long threads here. At least it won't be a thread whose content is made up entirely of a Dad complaining about his DD's swing.......... :rolleyes:

Oct 2, 2017
Then prepare to be peppered, of all the sports my kids have played this is the one I have the least knowledge of, and the only one I am unable to coach.

You guys are going to have to talk to me like the new girl that's never held a bat.

Bring on the questions, there is a lot of good content here to learn from. I'm still learning as well. You stated lingo, there multiple terms or expressions that mean the same thing. I mentioned sequence in my early comment. To me the most basic outline of the sequence is the following, others may chime in if i'm incorrect or want to add. Maybe someone else has Clips of each of these items listed

1 - Stance - (Player Preference)
2 - Gather or Preparation (Its the moment when the batter starts to prepare their sequence movement., in Time with the pitchers movement)
3 - Stride (The movement towards the ball), some players have no stride
4 - Separation, Stretch, Pull back, Walk away from hands, Stretching the Rubber band etc. (All refer to tension or distance created between the hands and the stride foot, created as the player is striding)
5 - Launch Position - (The point at which the player has completed the stride and Separation and are now going to actually swing the bat)

Jun 8, 2016
Bring on the questions, there is a lot of good content here to learn from. I'm still learning as well. You stated lingo, there multiple terms or expressions that mean the same thing. I mentioned sequence in my early comment. To me the most basic outline of the sequence is the following, others may chime in if i'm incorrect or want to add. Maybe someone else has Clips of each of these items listed

1 - Stance - (Player Preference)
2 - Gather or Preparation (Its the moment when the batting starts to prepare their sequence movement., in Time with the pitchers movement)
3 - Stride (The movement towards the ball)
4 - Separation, Stretch, Pull back, Walk away from hands, Stretching the Rubber band etc. (All refer to tension or distance created between the hands and the stride foot, created as the player is striding)
5 - Launch Position - (The point at which the player has completed the stride and Separation)
If you want to use a distance measure for #4 I think distance between hands and rear hip is better e.g red line below:
dyTYlTf.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal

If you are willing to learn, you can learn. When my DD started playing softball, I knew pretty much nothing. I was a big baseball fan, but baseball was not one of the sports I played. I knew nothing about the details of proper mechanics. I put in the effort to educate myself about hitting, throwing, and the details of being an effective catcher in order to help my DD play at the level she wanted to play. Along the way, I learned about the game, and spent some time coaching my DD's teams.

I'm still educating myself. Constantly. However, my DD won't listen to me, so I pay people to tell her the things I want to say.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This doesn't need to be a long thread. You and her watch the 2 videos Eric posted. Apply and practice whats in those and you will have a better swing than 90% of others hitters. There is enough to keep you busy for a couple of months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog