Help us get it right.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2019
Not sure how helpful this particular video will be but we need some help getting her hitting more consistently.

She has tryouts for her team tonight so hopefully I can get video of live pitches later tonight.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Zero stretch/separation. Almost zero load/gather. What I see is an arm-powered downward chop at the ball. This isn't even all-back/all-forward (which is common, and also not ideal). This is just all-forward.

I would recommend starting with this to help her establish a better sequence and develop the feeling of how to create some separation and stretch in her body...

Another thing to work on in the concept of turning the barrel to the ball with the hands/forearms, rather than using the arms to swing the bat. This might be helpful for understanding the idea...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Eric posted my 2 favorite videos. Take the time to watch them 2 or 3 times. Apply the knowledge. Work with a mirror. These two videos is all you need. She should watch them too.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Will video from a pitching machine suffice?

Pitching machine will work for starters. When I said the tee swings are of no value, I meant I don't think they show her swing very well. If that is her swing then your starting from scratch. You can make tee swings closer to game swings with the right intent, focus and performing the swing as if your facing a pitcher (look out at a pretend pitcher, track the ball).

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
Hang in there its a marathon not a sprint. Let's look at live pitching/machine video and go from there.

She has lot is the same issues as lots of girls, that can all be worked out with instruction (which you can get a great foundation here), hard work and dedication...it almost always a matter of who puts in the work as to the results you will get.

Aug 20, 2017
Echo what DJ said. You are in the right spot posting this thread! Stance, load, stride is where you need to begin to tinker. I would start with the stance! Hopefully others can chime in but these are the things I want to see in her stance. Back foot straight to slightly closed, back elbow up around shoulder height, front shoulder in and down slightly, knob of bat pointing at back foot. Not going into detail why lol. It’s a Simple start! Fix that, then we can tinker with the negative move (load)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Two phases to the swing, prepare to swing and then swing. Her launch position isn't very good which represents the point between preparing to swing and swinging.

She does do the same things as the tee swings. She just starts lowering the the back elbow/hands and opens the hips early. She is "swinging" the entire time, instead of preparing to swing and then swinging.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee