HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 22, 2016
Update....she smacked a hard line drive yesterday during her game. It was one of the harder hits from her that I've seen in a while. Unfortunately her next hit was a slow grounder to short. I still see a lot of stepping forward early and swinging with arms only and not utilizing her lower body.

Feb 22, 2016
If you follow some of the advice you've been given so far, she will likely see little improvement and learn not to listen to you in the future.

Going back thru this thread I wast watching the slow pitch swing five posted. Five is the slow pitch swing you showed just a modified or over exaggerated version of a fast pitch swing? Looking at the videos you posted it seems like its at the last point in the swing sequence where the player starts out with the barrel already turned with back shoulder dipping down, back eldow against the body, and an upward swing. Is this true?

The downward swing seems to be the hardest thing to break so far. My daughter steps too soon which seems to throw her sequence off and she doesn't turn her hips which causes an all arm swing. In addition, she always hits the ball out in front up her instead of letting it get deeper into the zone which causes her arms to extend forward and again no power. Seems like there are sooooo many things to fix.

Feb 22, 2016
She's old enough to get involved in the learning process. Learn about swing mechanics together.

She's a smart kid. She probably gets too technical and doesn't let her natural athletic ability take over enough. We've watched several videos. All of the ones posted here several times. We'll keep working on it as long as it stays fun for her.

May 12, 2016
If she's technical, I would keep it one thing at a time. Otherwise she will overthink and things will not be fun. Cheers

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Update....she smacked a hard line drive yesterday during her game. It was one of the harder hits from her that I've seen in a while. Unfortunately her next hit was a slow grounder to short. I still see a lot of stepping forward early and swinging with arms only and not utilizing her lower body.

Focus on sequence, and help her learn to control her move forward with her rear leg. Start slow and early, ride the rear leg, and get the front foot down on time (don't rush it).

When she's in the on-deck circle, she should be practicing the timing of her stride and swing as she watches the pitcher. Even before that, in the hole, she can start moving her body in time with the pitcher. In the dugout watching the game, she can visualize what that timing should look like for that pitcher.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There are certainly some mechanical issues limiting things, but one of the big items I see missing is VIOLENCE! There needs to be an intent to hit the ball hard.

Amen - you can fix mechanical issues (which others here can help with) but she swings like she is afraid to not make contact.

Get the front foot down and take a real hack. Swing with intent. You get three.

Feb 22, 2016
Amen - you can fix mechanical issues (which others here can help with) but she swings like she is afraid to not make contact.

Get the front foot down and take a real hack. Swing with intent. You get three.

Agree marriard that has certainly been the case in the past.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I recommend Antonella softball on YouTube as a good place to review swing info.

This is one on turning the barrel behind you.

Also, grab her bat and learn with her. Find out what works and what doesn’t. I started your journey 5 + years ago. I tried what everyone said and found out what actually works vs what doesn’t work. I’m not a hitting pro but I do Know BS when i see it now.

There is a lot of misinformation posted here by some that think they know exactly how a good swing works. It’s mainly because they don’t understand what is being said and they can’t get past who is saying it so they refuse to listen and try to understand what they are teaching.

Good luck with your daughter. Get a bat and swing it! Try the push swing and try the turn the barrel deep swing and see which is quicker and more adjustable for yourself. That made a believer out of me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802