HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bold is why I asked you if the body was in the correct position at/during launch,including correct positioning of lead arm, would you have an issue with the way he was applying torque to the handle. I probably should have been more descriptive. I am purely talking about the forces he is applying to the handle.You do agree using the hands correctly includes a torquing, right? Again, what I see in a lot of young hitters, is the initial forces applied are along the handle e.g. producing purely linear motion of the knob with no rotational motion.

Yes, I do agree with hand usage ... but IMO it needs to be married with lead-arm action ... which needs to be married with body orientation at swing launch ... which needs to be married with the hip/torso-engine ... which should be married with the arrival at a healthy swing launch orientation.

Apr 11, 2015
When I think of release, I think of the unhinging of the wrist (swivel). I also believe that at times the hitter may hold the hinge when they find themselves out in front (early). It can be part of adjustability. Not a preferred move. There can also be a release to extension. This is letting the elbows straighten usually after contact.
This is what we used to (and still do) call "follow through"...when the arms extended, and the hands start to rollover - way past contact (and extension). Just stating my use of the vocabulary term(s)' definitions, not claiming them better or more correct than others definitions of them.

Apr 11, 2015
Yes, I do agree with hand usage ... but IMO it needs to be married with lead-arm action ... which needs to be married with body orientation at swing launch ... which needs to be married with the hip/torso-engine ... which should be married with the arrival at a healthy swing launch orientation.
This is interesting, in that I find most (if not all) of my hand usage after "swing launch orientation" - which I'm assuming you mean to be a-n-o-t-h-e-r word for "launch position". :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
honestly I'm confused as hell

And you should be ... you received some bad advice ... some even forgot what they told you within a few posts and went in an entirely different direction.

Bottom-line ... go fishing where the fish are ... that improves your chances of catching fish. Also, use the Hanson Principle to protect yourself from taking in bad advice.

Feb 22, 2016
OMG I just watched several videos on turning the barrel. My daughter does not do this at all. I don't know if it will help doing it this way but I'm willing to try it.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Start asking questions. One thing that I just noticed is the front hip seems to post up. The front hip doesn't move backwards enough.

Feb 22, 2016
She seems to do a lot of things wrong. The more I try to analyze these hitters the more I see. Just not sure I have enough knowledge to correct her....OR if she'll even listen to me after having her spend 6 months with an instructor who didn't improve her at all.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She seems to do a lot of things wrong. The more I try to analyze these hitters the more I see. Just not sure I have enough knowledge to correct her....OR if she'll even listen to me after having her spend 6 months with an instructor who didn't improve her at all.

If you follow some of the advice you've been given so far, she will likely see little improvement and learn not to listen to you in the future.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

She's old enough to get involved in the learning process. Learn about swing mechanics together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802