Help me understand the recruiting calendar better...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
My DD is a rising junior, so that Sept 1st date is only a few weeks away. I still don't really "get" the calendar that the NCAA put out though. (https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018-19DIREC_SoftballRecruitingCalendar_20180628.pdf)

1.) It's my understanding that my DD can pick up the phone and call/talk with the coaches at her preferred schools starting Sept 1st. I think that's "fairly clear" to me.
2.) My DD's team has showcases scheduled from this coming weekend through Nov. This is where most of my confusion comes from. The calendar shows the light blue "Evaluation Period - Scholastic events only" up until those dark blue weekends in Oct and Nov. Does that mean coaches won't be able to/show up to showcases until Oct 13/14? In other words, is it useless for my DD to tell these coaches where and when she's playing during all those "light blue" days?

Jan 31, 2015
Your daughter can spam any coach as much as she wants, which is what my rising junior has been doing for the last 1.5 yeas. The restriction is on the DI/DII coaches that can't talk specific recruiting stuff with players before 1 Sept of their junior year but they can still come out to see them.

My DD has attended several DI prospect camps since last year, and even had one of the DI coaches come out last fall and stand behind home plate the entire game that she threw a complete 2-0 7 inning shutout and knocked in the 2 runs herself. ;-)

She did several national level showcases in July where DI coaches watched her and a DIII coach that she spammed came out to specifically watch her, and thankfully was there when she hit a bomb HR over the LF fence. ;-) She invited her to come out to their prospect camp in Sept. Essentially, my DD is booked every weekend in Sept now w/ prospect camps.

So, if your DD is just now getting in the recruiting process, she better ramp it up ASAP. ;-)

Best wishes!

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY

link to current calendar.

"EVALUATION PERIOD
An evaluation period is that period of time when it is permissible for authorized athletics department staff members to be involved in off-campus activities designed to assess the academic qualifications and playing ability of prospective student-athletes. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts shall be made with the prospective student-athlete during an evaluation period."

The way i read it, during the "Evaluation Period(s)', Coaches can attend showcases to evaluate prospective players, but CANNOT engage them directly and in-person at that event. But CAN contact a player via telephone afterward?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This applies to Div 1 coaches-Sept 1st. Coaches may talk to Juniors on phone or in person. Div 1 coaches can evaluate PSA's on campus, but can only evaluate them on the 6 weekends off campus (showcases). They used to be able to do showcase camps on Fridays but no longer. I would still send the fall schedule to coaches anyway. The more she contacts the coaches the better. I know some coaches can have someone else watch them even if they can't be there. Many complexes have streaming video too. Some better than others.

Apr 16, 2013
This applies to Div 1 coaches-Sept 1st. Coaches may talk to Juniors on phone or in person. Div 1 coaches can evaluate PSA's on campus, but can only evaluate them on the 6 weekends off campus (showcases). They used to be able to do showcase camps on Fridays but no longer. I would still send the fall schedule to coaches anyway. The more she contacts the coaches the better. I know some coaches can have someone else watch them even if they can't be there. Many complexes have streaming video too. Some better than others.

She sends them an update, and now a vlog, after every tournament. She's been to 3 camps at her #1 school so far. However, being a pre-junior she's had no real one on one contact with those coaches. I was just wondering how that whole "light blue" vs "dark blue" thing worked when it came to showcases. The wording is just so confusing. Are the showcases the next few weeks/months nearly useless? At this point, she has no interest in any D2/D3 schools so the D1 calendar is all that really matters. It sounds to me like her personal communication with them, up until those "dark blue" weekends, is what really matters at this point.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My DD has attended several DI prospect camps since last year, and even had one of the DI coaches come out last fall and stand behind home plate the entire game that she threw a complete 2-0 7 inning shutout and knocked in the 2 runs herself. ;-)

If that didn't make an impression, I don't know what would.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA

Excellent point about video. DD's new team Facebook live streams nearly every game they play. Coaches can watch from their offices if they wish, right? No way to restrict when they do that.