Help me help my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2018
14 girls on a 10U team? That's probably 3 girls too many. Like many others have said, 10U is all about playing time and developing players, especially if you're not a high level B or A team. You're building for the future. Every girl should be getting at least 2 innings a game and batting.

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting, we weren't aware this many girls on a team was a problem.

We carry 11. And we're almost thankful when 1 girl can't make a tournament.

(Many) Parents really, really, really don't like their DD to sit on the bench. Good parents are fine with it. Great parents want it in small doses.

I almost always sit my daughter the inning after she pitches. To be fair, but also to rest, reflect, support the team, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
We carry 11. And we're almost thankful when 1 girl can't make a tournament.

(Many) Parents really, really, really don't like their DD to sit on the bench. Good parents are fine with it. Great parents want it.

I almost always sit my daughter the inning after she pitches. To be fair, but also to rest, reflect, support the team, etc.
MY DD's 10U TB team has 11. All 11 bat every game. To be honest the difference between the 5th best and 11th best hitter isn't that much so it really isn't a difficult decision other than the fact that you deny your better hitters an AB or so every 2 or 3 games.

Aug 1, 2018
Second year TB parent & coach. First and foremost it is important to know that the move to TB from Rec can be a steep learning curve. In my case, though I realized my DD was behind the power curve, I felt comfortable with the situation and the HC worked very hard to ensure that though my DD didn't get a lot of playing time initially, he was working to develop her, and playing time would come.

I say all of that to say if you aren't comfortable and if you haven't had some productive conversations with the HC, it might be time to look for a better situation.

All of this right here. This is my daughter's first year playing (also 12U but on a 2nd year team if that makes sense, she will be moving up to 14U this fall). Last night at practice one of the assistant coaches pointed out to me how far she has come in the past 9 months. She was also "behind the curve", played maybe 50% of the time in the fall/winter, and now she is the starting 2B and becoming a real power hitter. All of this is due to the coach's willingness to put in time and work with her, which is one of the main reasons we chose this team.

I would talk to the coach and see what their vision is for the team going forward, and decide if it lines up with what you want for your daughter. I'm sorry the first year hasn't been a great experience, but you definitely have time to evaluate and decide which way to go from here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802