Help me help her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The first thing that jumps out at me is that she is adjusting to the level of the pitch by dropping her hands instead of by tilting.

Apr 4, 2019
Florida
SB45 I thought about the pitching but my oldest daughter is a junior and she also plays. Made for kinda uncomfortable situations at my house last year because Kylie my freshman has always outperformed Hayley. 2nd half of season last year Hayley only played defense she wasn't even in lineup and her whole softball career she been a 7-8-9 hitter. Well she's batting 3rd this year and leads team in obp slugging doubles home runs and rbi

Apr 4, 2019
Florida
Thank you Eric she's always had the smoothest most level to and through swing of any of my daughters and every swing I see her take now there's nothing level about it. I got plenty of time to help her however I can just need advice on types of drills or things to work with.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It's not huge, but it's there. She levels out the barrel (drops it slightly behind the body) and creates to much bat lag. TTB immediately should help. Do the sudden drill, where you load up and then swing immediately (no slop, no delay in barrel acceleration).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you Eric she's always had the smoothest most level to and through swing of any of my daughters and every swing I see her take now there's nothing level about it. I got plenty of time to help her however I can just need advice on types of drills or things to work with.

The intent to swing "level to and through" is (likely) the problem, and not very realistic. A good swing isn't "level". The barrel swings in an arc around the hands, on a tilted plane. The amount of tilt varies depending on pitch location.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
I feel like she is late in most of these swings...just a touch. Even the ball she hit well, swing looks good but probably want to hit that pitch about 6 inches more out front. In the longer video...2nd pitch is right on the inside corner...she takes but doesn't start her swing with her lower body really at all. I would offer two comments at first to try...start her swing on every pitch...not just the stride but knee drive/hip rotation...however you think of it. BUT..separate this from finishing the swing...finishing the swing is not automatic just because the lower half starts. Second, I would say...fire that lower body aggressively..I feel that will make her quicker. Making sure the hands lag behind. One of the videos there is a real nice swing and she is under the ball by several inches...the rise balls may be a little better in Florida.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee