Help keeping Demarini bat naming straight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Which makes the parents kids. 😇

I say that as a toy and trinket collector ... or pack rat as my wife says.
See I keep telling DW that she lucked out since I don't really spend money on myself but then she points out the 150 other things that are wrong with me and my argument always falls short.

Feb 6, 2020
Hahhahaha, Many times its not the kids. Parents like new stuff more than the kid I think.
I've played slow pitch for years and have encountered many bat hoarders that would always chase anything new and shiny. I started down the path myself but got out before I got sucked in to far.

Feb 6, 2020
Most what you said is correct...
2016 CF8s
2017 CF9s
2018 CFXs
2019 CF Zens
2020 CFs

The CF Extended with AOD knob however is actually in with the 2019 Zens not the 2018 CFX line.

For CF8, CF9 and CFX line demarini had a bat called the slapper. It was a drop 10, slightly even more balanced weighted towards hands, had an inch longer barrel (14 i think) and the grip was wrapped the opposite way of most bats so it felt more natural for a lefty.

The slapper didn't sell well and was always deeply discounted. That's not to say it was horrible bat. Several posts on here if you search for it.

The 2019 CF Zen Extended AOD Knob is basically the slapper with the AOD knob and gripped the common direction. The AOD knob has a little different feel to it if you hold at the knob because it is slightly thicker than handle since it moves up the handle an inch if desired. IF DD chokes up an inch then it feels like any other bat. You can probably get it brand new with warranty for $100.

In most lines, not much different year to year. Especially true of these Demarinis. Though many swear the CFXs were subpar. The Zens were generally well liked and can be had at discount right now. No reason to buy a 2020 CF at MSRP.
I guess my main question would be is the AOD potentially annoying enough to be worth spending more to avoid? My DD will not be chocking up. I don't think a little thicker would hurt as long as it felt the same as a normal grip material.

Oct 5, 2018
I guess my main question would be is the AOD potentially annoying enough to be worth spending more to avoid? My DD will not be chocking up. I don't think a little thicker would hurt as long as it felt the same as a normal grip material.
She'd probably have to try it. It's not life altering and my daughter hasn't said much about it. I ask so she thinks about it, but it is the bat she is currently using. It's about an inch long of hard plastic above knob flare before the regular grip tape starts. I thought about trying a knob cuff or grip n rip it on it if she didn't like it as is.

Apr 28, 2019
I'm new to fastpitch and looking for a bat for my daughter. I was getting a little lost in Demarini naming and wanted to double check.
CF9 is from 2017, CFX from 2018, CF ZEN from 2019 and 2020 is just CF but would be similar/same line at least. The Hope version are the same bat just different paint with money going to breast cancer?
DeMarini CFX Extended is the same as the CFX but with Adjustable On Demand (AOD) Knob?
Any draw backs to the AOD Knob? Seems a little odd to me but guess it wouldn't hurt anything?
Any advantages with going with the newer bats or would 2018-2020 all be about the same? Thanks for the help
You seem to have a good
I'm new to fastpitch and looking for a bat for my daughter. I was getting a little lost in Demarini naming and wanted to double check.
CF9 is from 2017, CFX from 2018, CF ZEN from 2019 and 2020 is just CF but would be similar/same line at least. The Hope version are the same bat just different paint with money going to breast cancer?
DeMarini CFX Extended is the same as the CFX but with Adjustable On Demand (AOD) Knob?
Any draw backs to the AOD Knob? Seems a little odd to me but guess it wouldn't hurt anything?
Any advantages with going with the newer bats or would 2018-2020 all be about the same? Thanks for the help

You seem to have a good handle on the Demarini lingo. They have a light bat line and an average bat line. The Insane line was previous average weight model. The FNX is their heavier offering for 2020.

Compared to other makers Demarini are usually closer to stated weight.

I would go with a CF, LXT, or Rawlings Quatro Pro balanced if your looking for a top shelf lighter swinging balanced bat.

The Power Carbons have their following but I see too many complaints about sting and bats going dead to take the plunge.

Also see many used 2020’s for resale. They just don’t seem to command the money and respect of some other better known bat brands.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28