Help from my fellow umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I am scheduled to do my first games tomorrow from behind the pitcher, by myself (18u). Any tips on positioning, etc? I'm not really looking forward to it, but the private field we using is requiring it.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I’ve only done 3 games behind the pitcher - it’s tough.

One piece of advice is to follow the ball with your body, especially grounders to F6.

Close foul balls are hard, use reaction of the player if you have to.

Passed ball with a runner on third...good luck.

Assuming this is solo?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I can't imagine trying to umpire an actual game solo and calling balls/strikes from behind the pitcher.

Talk about being in the worst possible spot to do pretty much everything.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I can't imagine trying to umpire an actual game solo and calling balls/strikes from behind the pitcher.

Talk about being in the worst possible spot to do pretty much everything.

Yes, it feels like you’re constantly in the way, with bad angles, and high/low is close to impossible.

About the only good thing verses doing solo behind the plate is that you can see steals of second finally.

Oct 11, 2018
know what happens if you get in the way of a batted ball. At least in USA softball, if the batted ball hits the umpire before passing a non-pitcher fielder, it is a dead ball, BR gets 1st and other advance if forced. Many years ago in a high school game my #4 batter smoked a line drive up the middle, bounced off the umpire to the F4 who was able to get the out at first. No matter how I pleaded it was a single and a dead ball, umpire was deaf to my claims. He called the out. He had forgotten his gear so not only did he call a terrible game from behind the F1, he didn't know how to deal with his mistake when hit behind the circle. Check your rule set for guidance. USA 8.1.E.7 [both teams in that game were undefeated; fortunately we won by 1 run.]

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA Rules....Rule 8, Section 7E:

E. If a fair ball strikes an Umpire or a runner after having passed an infielder other than the pitcher, and provided no other fielder had a chance to make an out, or when a fair batted ball has been touched by an infielder, including the pitcher, and the runner did not intentionally interfere with the batted ball or the fielder attempting to field the batted ball. EFFECT- Section 7: The ball is in play.

Not sure what this means if I get hit behind the pitcher. I guess it would be a dead ball?....And, on a dead ball, does batter get first base?

Oct 11, 2018
USSSA Rules....Rule 8, Section 7E:

E. If a fair ball strikes an Umpire or a runner after having passed an infielder other than the pitcher, and provided no other fielder had a chance to make an out, or when a fair batted ball has been touched by an infielder, including the pitcher, and the runner did not intentionally interfere with the batted ball or the fielder attempting to field the batted ball. EFFECT- Section 7: The ball is in play.

Not sure what this means if I get hit behind the pitcher. I guess it would be a dead ball?....And, on a dead ball, does batter get first base?
that's not the rule you need to find. that one is for hitting an umpire after it passes an infielder other than the pitcher. you need the one where it hits the umpire BEFORE a fielder can play the ball.

I looked through the USSSA book and I can't find a rule for the situation where the ball hits the umpire before passing a fielder. 7E that you posted clearly mentions passing an infielder but doesn't say what to do if it dose not pass an infielder. Dilemma!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
As a coach who has done many of these in scrimmages, I would advise standing to the other side of the pitchers throwing arm. I.e, right handed pitcher...to the left side of her and in your crouched position to somewhat get an accurate height as to the pitches. It's a neck of a lot tougher but at least you're not blocked by the pitcher herself on her finish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee