Help finding a face mask for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2020
My DD had both a Rip-It and Schutt until college. She preferred the Schutt because of a bigger chin pad that was more comfortable for her. She has a large head though. I would recommend the Rip-it for a smaller head now that they offer a bigger chin pad as well. It's not built any better or less better. It just seems to fit a smaller head better IMO...at least that's what I've noticed with my current 12U team.
Thanks, the info on the sizing really helps.

May 16, 2016
Rip it. If it feels a bit wide, just bend it a little, and it will fit smaller. They do make a youth size as well, but I'd probably go with an adult.

Apr 28, 2019
A little on the pricey side but looks good. Still cheap compared to everything else I needed to buy for her.

I believe the lighter weight and stronger material is worth the extra money.
We started with Rip-it masks which were fine but wanted something lighter for those long days/weekends on the field.
Schutt also makes a good titanium mask my kids just preferred the look/fit of the Boombah.
If your really budget conscious Champro would be an option.
Yeah softball can be an expensive sport. But like most things you get what you pay for in most cases.

Feb 6, 2020
I believe the lighter weight and stronger material is worth the extra money.
We started with Rip-it masks which were fine but wanted something lighter for those long days/weekends on the field.
Schutt also makes a good titanium mask my kids just preferred the look/fit of the Boombah.
If your really budget conscious Champro would be an option.
Yeah softball can be an expensive sport. But like most things you get what you pay for in most cases.
I was looking up more info on the Boombah Titanium mask and it was listed at 6.7 oz. The RIP-IT Defense Pro Mask was 11.04 oz. Would the Boombah really be that much lighter? I'm wondering if the Boombah was without the straps and the Rip-It was with? Was bigger difference than I expected.
Also, it was hard to tell from the picture on the website, doe the Boombah strap come with a hole for a ponytail? I assume it does but was hard to tell for sure.

Apr 28, 2019
I was looking up more info on the Boombah Titanium mask and it was listed at 6.7 oz. The RIP-IT Defense Pro Mask was 11.04 oz. Would the Boombah really be that much lighter? I'm wondering if the Boombah was without the straps and the Rip-It was with? Was bigger difference than I expected.
Also, it was hard to tell from the picture on the website, doe the Boombah strap come with a hole for a ponytail? I assume it does but was hard to tell for sure.

Titanium is 45% lighter than common steel and just as strong in pure form. When alloyed with other metals it’s stronger than common steel. I would say the specs are all inclusive. TI is the strongest strength to weight ratio metal known to man.
My DD’s wear their hair up when they play so I’m sure it’s “pony tail friendly”.

Feb 6, 2020
Titanium is 45% lighter than common steel and just as strong in pure form. When alloyed with other metals it’s stronger than common steel. I would say the specs are all inclusive. TI is the strongest strength to weight ratio metal known to man.
My DD’s wear their hair up when they play so I’m sure it’s “pony tail friendly”.
Thanks, this is probably what I'll get. Looks like direct from Boombah is the only place these can be ordered?

Apr 28, 2019
Thanks, this is probably what I'll get. Looks like direct from Boombah is the only place these can be ordered?

We ordered ours directly from Boombah. Not sure if other outlets sell Boombah products.
You could check E-bay, Sideline Swap , etc... to see what’s out there.
Some companies like Ringor I just discovered pretty much sell their own products exclusively.

Feb 6, 2020
We ordered ours directly from Boombah. Not sure if other outlets sell Boombah products.
You could check E-bay, Sideline Swap , etc... to see what’s out there.
Some companies like Ringor I just discovered pretty much sell their own products exclusively.

Ordered it from Boombah late Thursday night and received it this morning. Can't believe how light it is. We pitched with it for the first time this afternoon and it stayed in place and she didn't seem to mind it. It was still probably a little bit to big but was close enough that I expect that the youth would be too small. We still have some adjusting to do yet since we didn't spend much time putting it on for the first time. Thanks everyone for the input. Just hope we get a chance to use it in a game sometime this year. We are in Iowa and still have a chance of a season. Will find out June 1st and still have a league that is planning on starting July 6th if everything works out. Hard to tell at this point.

Apr 28, 2019
Ordered it from Boombah late Thursday night and received it this morning. Can't believe how light it is. We pitched with it for the first time this afternoon and it stayed in place and she didn't seem to mind it. It was still probably a little bit to big but was close enough that I expect that the youth would be too small. We still have some adjusting to do yet since we didn't spend much time putting it on for the first time. Thanks everyone for the input. Just hope we get a chance to use it in a game sometime this year. We are in Iowa and still have a chance of a season. Will find out June 1st and still have a league that is planning on starting July 6th if everything works out. Hard to tell at this point.

Glad to hear it. You may want to return for youth size. My 14yo DD’s still wear youth size for batting helmets, catchers helmets & fielding masks.
It’s a great product. Much better/lighter than Rip-it and others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2