Help Eliminate The Early Recruiting Petition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Came here ready to argue a bit...I misread the post's subject as "Help me eliminate the petition." :eek:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Let me know when they put a proposal forward that will.

At a camp yesterday - the 3 D1 coaches there were already discussing how they can easily get around it and how much better it will be that people wont be able to announce commitments even though they will be giving them out anyway.

Basically they said this will get rid of early verbal announcements so they will be able to continue recruiting classes looking for better talent with even less risk than before.

Nov 29, 2009
As with any rule, there will be ways around it. There are coaches who can not/refuse to police themselves. Who knows if the NCAA will punish any offenders or if they will even put any real effort into monitoring it after the initial few months? The NCAA only seems interested in the money sports. If a player complains they will immediately be blacklisted. I can see the same thing happening to a coach.

Every top organization will have an intermediary all of the communications will go through.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Would love to know which 3 schools those DI coaches are from...says a lot about the (lack of) integrity in those programs. I may be naive, but I'm not that naive to believe there won't be schools/coaches that actively look to get around any rule that may be put in place. I guess the proof will be in the pudding...if this passes and we suddenly see a flurry of verbals on day 1 of their junior year, we'll know that much recruiting was done beforehand.

I also get that this impacts my daughter absolutely not at all, as she is happily enjoying her DIII college and softball experience. Just fun to debate.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Every top organization will have an intermediary all of the communications will go through.

And this is it... every top org ALREADY has someone the comms go through most of the time - at least to start the conversation. And the NCAA has no people to enforce it but they will pass it because really there is little change from the current situation anyway (which is why the lacrosse proposal passed). We are here because the NFCA members can't police themselves obviously - so that isn't changing.

In summary the rule changes nothing. Colleges still can't do anything with you that is official until you are a junior, the term 'verbal commit' which has no official meaning anyway goes away for D1 and a recruit can't pick up the phone to call a D1 coach. And if I can get a kid to a camp then it is open comms all the way. That is really all it the proposal does.

There is nothing in this for the player or parents. In the end, this is all a show by the NFCA to pretend they are doing something.

Last edited:

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Would love to know which 3 schools those DI coaches are from...says a lot about the (lack of) integrity in those programs.

I actually disagree that it shows a lack of integrity. It just shows that the current and proposed rules are ineffectual and that they want to keep their jobs. It no different to all those coaches you run into at camps (these 3 included) who say "I don't want to recruit 8th graders or 9th graders, but what choice do I have?". The talent pie is only so big and you can't win if you only have crumbs left to choose from.

And you are exactly right - day 1 you are going to see a huge rush of commitments and coaches saying things like "Little Susie has come to our camp for the past 3 years and always said she wanted to come here" pretending that she magically turned up at these camps and they did nothing to recruit her there through her parents, coaches and anyone else they could find to communicate with her indirectly.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I was under the impression the first version leaked had a provision there was no Coach to athlete or third party contact until September of the athletes junior year. Wonder why the third party part
was dropped?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802