Helmets during practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
We require helmets. Period. Swinging bats. Helmets on. Errant foul balls, someone not paying attention etc. One on One T work with no one else around is the only exception. You play with them during the game....simulate as much as possible game situations.

Dec 5, 2017
Mine has the issue EricF mentioned as well for some reason. She doesn't wear a helmet to warmup off the tee but after having a ball hit her in the face off the bat, she wears it once the ball is moving even if it's just soft toss.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
if given the opportunity some girls would not wear helmets during the game. Why would you allow them to hit without a helmet. Is it really that uncomfortable? What is the reason for not wanting to wear it. I think it has to do with how they perceive others view them for being a sissy. Same with the facemask in the field.

I have never heard of a player not wanting to wear a batting helmet during the game.

The reason players don't want to wear helmets when they are older is because they can do the math and access the risk themselves. There is virtual no chance of them getting hit during t-work or front toss so helmets aren't required. For machine and live pitching the helmets are on.

"Practice like you play" sounds great but I haven't seen any research to quantify it.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Is it really that uncomfortable?

Have you ever worn a helmet with a facemask? It's terrible.

I'm not saying they shouldn't wear them; they absolutely should. But they're really, really uncomfortable. They limit vision pretty significantly, too. I felt completely trapped when I put one on while demonstrating some base running skill.

So, yes, they've gotta wear them, but I wouldn't use comfort level as an argument for why they should.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois

I'm not saying they shouldn't wear them; they absolutely should. But they're really, really uncomfortable. They limit vision pretty significantly, too. I felt completely trapped when I put one on while demonstrating some base running skill.

So, yes, they've gotta wear them, but I wouldn't use comfort level as an argument for why they should.

IMO, another reason that they should wear them as much as possible during practice. The more they can get used to them, and comfortable with them, the better they can perform come game time with them on.

Jun 8, 2016
This ^^^.

That said, my DD has a tendency to whack herself in the head with her own bat on an alarming basis. A helmet is a good thing for her pretty much all the time.

In college I was hitting in an outdoor cage and somehow managed to foul a ball off which eventually whacked me in the mouth. I have no idea how it happened but it required a few stitches!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal

It's a familiarity issue. I've never heard one girl complain about having to wear because that's all they know. I grew up playing youth ice hockey. Full cages were required. It didn't seem "terrible" or "uncomfortable" at all.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In college I was hitting in an outdoor cage and somehow managed to foul a ball off which eventually whacked me in the mouth. I have no idea how it happened but it required a few stitches!!

A surprising ricochet is understandable. Bonking yourself in the head with the bat that's in your own hands is just...ummm...really not smart. My DD's barrel control seems pretty decent when she's trying to hit a moving ball. Any other time, all bets are off. At 8-9, even 10 years old, dumb stuff like that happens with the little ones. She's 14! :facepalm:

Jun 8, 2016
A surprising ricochet is understandable. Bonking yourself in the head with the bat that's in your own hands is just...ummm...really not smart. My DD's barrel control seems pretty decent when she's trying to hit a moving ball. Any other time, all bets are off.

Yes...my DD whacks herself in the shin quite often. She then gives me a look as if I did something to her..I'm like the bat was in your hands what do you want me to do???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802