Helmet Style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2008
One kid on my team wants to use the old fashioned catchers mask/ batting helmet. She doesn't like the hockey style type.

Is the old style legal? Is it a good idea?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Legal, yes. Good idea, probably not. The visibility is considerably better in a hockey style mask. Generally speaking, you can leave it on for all plays, whereas with the old style mask it helped to rip it off for pop fouls and plays at the plate.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I realize this is an older question... But Girls Fastpitch Softball references a study done by Kettering University comparing safety aspects of hockey style masks and traditional catcher masks. I don't know that the Kettering University is still available to vistors, I have read the article and it seemed very compreshensive. My best recommendation would be to reference the article at GFS should you be interested. It's an informative read. Girls Fastpitch Softball: July 29, 2007

Nov 1, 2009
Try several hockey style masks and she may find one that fits her correctly. I don't know how old your girls are but if they are in between the youth and adult it is hard to get a good fit. The other thing there are restrictions for two piece gear so make sure you consult your rule book prior to showing up at the field to play.

Jan 24, 2009
MLB's American league MVP and back to back gold glove winner uses a similar setup. Seems to work ok for Joe.
VW
oh, and tell her to hit like him also (b2b batting titles as well)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28