Hello elbow question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Can you explain this another way? The only part of what you wrote that I understood was "Coaches don't like walks". And, for once, I'm not trying to be smart a$$.

Bill
lol - 10 minutes a day doing it correctly should rapidly change the muscle memeory

Jan 19, 2020
Thanks again for the replies, let me say again that I am not in anyway trying to change them or get them to switch their styles. I am far from an expert and don't feel that is in anyway my place. I was just looking for some pointers that I could give them. But after reading all of the replies I will just let them get their reps in and tell them to think about what their PC tells them. For some background info we are a C level travel team 12u.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
what I am seeing here in WNY is that the HE coaches are accepting the bent arm and pulling down until they get to about 10. then they rotate to a push and release square to the plate but no HE to follow.

Sep 29, 2014
Most girls start out 'bowling' the ball. Then they develop an arm circle but still 'bowl'. Changing from that 'face the plate' bowling action to the sideways IR arm whipping calls for a complete rebuild and you can't do it in stages, it's all or nothing. To make it more difficult their control will suffer and coaches don't like walks.
This is actually one of the first things I say when explaining the difference between IR and HE...."we are NOT BOWLING!!!"

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Can you explain this another way? The only part of what you wrote that I understood was "Coaches don't like walks". And, for once, I'm not trying to be smart a$$.

Bill

"Bowling", hand on top of the ball on the downswing, arm straight, just look at any well meaning Dad trying to pitch batting practice, to his daughter or his team.

I spent the first 10 or so years of my coaching career at the 'rec' level, 10U and 12U. During that time I must have seen 40-50 girls try to pitch, only a handful had taken a pitching lesson. During that time I only saw 2 girls who threw with IR. At the time I recognized that there was a difference in the way those 2 girls threw but I wasn't clear on the mechanics of it, or how to teach it. My only sources of knowledge at that time were a couple of Ernie Parker videos, which I intuitively knew were wrong.

Aug 20, 2017
One thing that has resonated with HE pitchers that I’ve had some success with without going into detail is from the Hillhouse play book. Throw through your body instead of around it or ball before hip. Both those ques have worked with assisting HE pitchers. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802