Heavy balls? Total control balls?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2019
I think they are great as a warmup before games. 6-8 just to make them swing full strength plus square up on ball. Also the limited space aspect makes them a simpler drill. Just make sure you have some pace on them and dont just lob them in

May 12, 2016
I presume so, but like I said, this was just a random result of a you tube search. No idea about anything else in the video, was just trying to illustrate the post-hit dynamic of the TCB after solid contact vs topping/bottoming the ball.
I agree, that's the shape you want with a solid hit. However the ball wasn't thrown.

Jan 8, 2019
I agree, that's the shape you want with a solid hit. However the ball wasn't thrown.
Not that it matters, but do you think it was pitched by a machine? Or is there something that I'm missing?

The trajectory of the delivery seems a little slow compared to what I would try to do, but a little hard to tell in the slo mo.

May 12, 2016
Not that it matters, but do you think it was pitched by a machine? Or is there something that I'm missing?

The trajectory of the delivery seems a little slow compared to what I would try to do, but a little hard to tell in the slo mo.
Heavy ball pitched by a machine? Is that even possible? My point is because it's a heavy ball the further down the bat it travels towards the end or sweet spot will result in less distance. Because this hit was more towards the hands it will travel further. Regardless I agree with you, you shouldn't be measuring distance with these balls..

Jan 8, 2019
It would be a machine I have not seen yet, but probably kind of cool to see and useless to own.

I thought you meant was the ball thrown TO her. It just clicked that you meant was it "thrown" by the bat. Sorry for my confusion!

I don't really think it was thrown. Certainly, the impact time of a heavy ball is FAR longer than that of a real softball because it's a big rubber sack of sand. So, if the thought of throwing it off the bat means that the impact time is longer, then I don't have a problem with that description. But then, any ball that has a softer outer shell (e.g., the limited flight skliz wiffles or tennis balls, etc.) will experience the same phenomenon. I haven't had the opportunity to use the TCBs with the holes mentioned in an earlier post, but would expect that they would also have this trampoline effect as they are listed as being made of the same rubber material as the heavies, just not weighted.

It really becomes a gauge of strength: a super strong MLB player would barely see a change in bat speed after contact () (again, random you tube video for the sole purpose of saying the bat speed here is not noticeably reduced by the heavy balls), where my 80 lb CF used to almost spin the other way when she hit them. (Her strength has greatly increased over the years and is now able to swing through them, but obviously, there is still a noticeable change in her bat speed.)

The younger/weaker the hitter, the lower weight/lower reps they should do with these, but have definitely seen the progress translate to hitting through live pitches.

So, what gimmicky balls does everyone else use for warm ups, strength building, limited flight in tourneys, etc?

While the heavies do have a regular place in our tool box, everyone is a bigger fan of just hitting real balls. Sometimes it's just less fun hitting into a net, so we utilize options.

Mar 1, 2020
Good? Bad? Ugly?
Wanted to know your opinion on their use. A hitting guru says that using weighted balls is his no. 2 best tip. Improves intention of hitting the ball hard. Thoughts?
I like them for my lessons as it relates to contact. I've found in the pregame warm up girls were over swinging and not being fundamentally sound before a game. That said whiffle (the bonnet type or skillz type) usually are the go to. Weighted balls are great for emphasizing power through the ball. They also give you instant feedback based on the weighted balls shape when hit or their direction. That's my two cents.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812