Heart guard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
And isn't commotio cordis much more prevalent (as rare as it is) in boys than girls? Having said that, due to my wife's concerns, we bought this a couple of years ago. I am pretty sure it would still fit my dd but she does not where it.
https://unequal.com/hart-shirt-new/
I think this is because at the younger ages you see more boys playing the sports where it is more likely to occur (hockey, baseball, lacrosse) and the balls/pucks are hit/thrown harder than in girls’ sports.

May 27, 2013
Not against heart guard at all but make sure field has a difbulater and that someone knows how to use it.
Most AED’s nowadays will actually talk to the user and instruct them on what to do. Another tip - call 911 immediately, put them on speaker, tell them you have an AED present and they will walk you through its use, as well as CPR.

Feb 15, 2017
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

So I've heard.
I can tell you that having a daughter that was born with congenital heart defects (VSD and pulmonary stenosis; stenosisis ongoing) we were concerned. None of the cardiologists in our local children's hospital or anyone they reached out to had children who used or recommended it. From what I gathered they thought it was insufficient at preventing what it claims to prevent (sudden heart stoppage) and there was no actual data to support it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2022
Yes, my daughter uses one whenever she pitches. Although she finds it uncomfortable, the EvoShield one with the hard plastic shell is the best on the market.

My daughter used the evoshield last year as well. She said it wasn't getting in the way, but it fit her terribly and she's improved her pitching posture since then. I feel like it'll be an issue this season.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter used the evoshield last year as well. She said it wasn't getting in the way, but it fit her terribly and she's improved her pitching posture since then. I feel like it'll be an issue this season.
Yeah, mine hates it. She recently told me she won't wear it, but she'll wear a different one that has soft padding. Her reasoning is that the hard shell dogs into her chest. Unfortunately for her, she's not small up top, so the curve in the plastic digs in to her chest.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I can tell you that having a daughter that was born with congenital heart defects (VSD and pulmonary stenosis; stenosisis ongoing) we were concerned. None of the cardiologists in our local children's hospital or anyone they reached out to had children who used or recommended it. From what I gathered they thought it was insufficient at preventing what it claims to prevent (sudden heart stoppage) and there was no actual data to support it.

You might want to review your original post on this topic. It appears a word is missing and it is easy to infer that you are saying something different.

Jan 25, 2022
Yeah, mine hates it. She recently told me she won't wear it, but she'll wear a different one that has soft padding. Her reasoning is that the hard shell dogs into her chest. Unfortunately for her, she's not small up top, so the curve in the plastic digs in to her chest.
yep. same for mine. it sticks WAY out. looks ridiculous.

May 17, 2012

I think it's the name of it that bothers me the most (Heart Guard). Imagine if they called batting helmets "Brain Guards". It's silly.

Lots of reasons to wear both but I know what they will and won't do.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have shared this story before but it is about this safety assistance subject.
So once again 🙂

Back in college wore a cross your heart bra.
Criss crossed between Center of chest.

At Long Beach State practice Outfield was firing home throws and I was not wearing my chest protector. Our right fielder Josie Carone (who has a cannon of an arm) was fairly shallow and threw home.
Sharp short hop bounce, came right up and hit the middle of my chest right at the
Cross Your Heart section of the bra.
The ball went straight down to the ground (like I blocked it) and I picked up the ball and handed it to the coach.
Coach asked if I was okay?
I said yeah coach it hit my bra.

To that story I would say a Cross Your Heart bra can add some protection versus sports bras that people wear now. Sports bra would have not held its own in that situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog