Heart guard?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2021
Does anyone have experience with them for pitchers?
Pros/cons?
Brand info?
Thanks in advance.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yes, my daughter uses one whenever she pitches. Although she finds it uncomfortable, the EvoShield one with the hard plastic shell is the best on the market.

May 17, 2012
When they first came out they didn't actually protect the heart against commotio cordis. Read the fine print as perhaps the technology has changed.

If it brings you and your daughter peace of mind that's great. Just understand what it will and won't do.

Feb 15, 2017
When they first came out they didn't actually protect the heart against commotio cordis. Read the fine print as perhaps the technology has changed.

If it brings you and your daughter peace of mind that's great. Just understand what it will and won't do.
The key to me is how many cardiologist have kids who play sports and how of their kids wear an evoshield.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2022
My kids (son pitches, daughter doesn't) have always used the Evoshield molded chest protector. It's like a mask, if you make it something that they always do when stepping on the field they don't give it a second thought.

Sep 19, 2018
And isn't commotio cordis much more prevalent (as rare as it is) in boys than girls? Having said that, due to my wife's concerns, we bought this a couple of years ago. I am pretty sure it would still fit my dd but she does not where it.
https://unequal.com/hart-shirt-new/

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I understand the concern and the recent incident that had brought this to the fore front. But let’s remember that on top of the mask and chest protector the most important piece of safety equipment is the glove.

Make sure your pitcher knows how to use it, make sure she knows how to finish her pitch so that she is ready for a ball hit back up the middle. Too many pitchers, coaches and parents think that the pitcher pitches and everyone else plays defense. The pitcher needs to at least be able to protect herself. Make it a priority in your pitching practice.

May 21, 2015
South
I used to smash tennis balls at my dd. She wore her batting helmet for protection. It helped her sharpen her glove reflexes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse