HD Slow Motion video Erin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rex

Jan 24, 2009
As others asked, what is her height, weight and arm length from top point of shoulder straight down to middle finger tip? If you live in central Texas, I can recommend an instructor - me.
The drive length is relative to her height. She does drive somewhat well but leg action is not as strong as I would like to see it. Her lean into the drive is also very good. Could stay leaning into the drive a little longer and reach with the plant foot a little longer. Timing looks good as well. Opens well into X.
She is well balanced and centered at release point - no lean to the left. The right shoulder is down but has pushed too far forward before release and it keeps going. The only place it can go is up causing the lean to the left in follow thru.
It would help her to drive the glove out toward the target and higher @ 45 degrees.
I recommend doing step back drill for a while to help the pitching shoulder and glove arm action stay in alignment when she actually pitches.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Rex, thanks for the comments and advice, she is 5'8"/160# not sure of her arm length. We are in E. Central IL, south of University of IL a few miles. When you say you would like to see stronger leg action, I assume you mean drive "harder" at the very beginning?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think she is fine.

Is Denny Throneburg still taking students, or do you have to enter a lottery? I would know someone in Springfield, but that would be pretty far for you.

The current softball coach at Lakeland CC, might be able to hook you up with someone and Parkland CC always has a strong program. That coach might know someone.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm with Amy.

You've taken her as far as you can. You've got to get her a pitching coach. There is no way to teach breaking pitches remotely.

Get a hold of Denny Throneburg and ask him for recommendations. He is a great guy, and very knowledgeable. Like any good pitcher, he is full of BS.

You might want to consider Theresa Carlton at the Diamond Sports Academy in Mokena. She is a great teacher, a great person, a great mother and a great pitcher. She was ESPN's "Pack Horse of the Day" in college for winning 7 games in one day. She helped my kids immeasurably.

By the way, I could sure use some Papa Del's pizza down here in Texas.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Amy & sluggers, thanks for the advice. I am not sure if Denny is taking any students but I will find out for sure. Since he is the AD at Lakeland College I just assumed he was not instructing but I could be wrong. I realized this summer that I could take her no further and have even discussed this with her and so we are looking. She has actually been taking a clinic in St Joe for the past 4 weeks and the instructor there knows Denny so I will ask him also for advice. Oh sluggers..... Papa Dels is it isn't it? The best if you ask me. They even sell them frozen now. Thanks again for all the advice. Amy who do you know in Springfield. I would not be opposed to driving there if it could work out.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Overall the mechanics do look good but I'll throw out three tweaks I would consider. 1) Get her to have a bit more reverse posture at toe touch, she seems a little bit upright there. If she gets more aggressive with her stride she will need that reverse posture to pitch against the momentum she generates. 2)At release she really doesn't decelerate her upper arm which doesn't allow her to get all the lower arm whip I think she could get. 3) At release it looks like she has her shoulders and hips almost squared up to the catcher which will make her pitch around her hip a bit. JMHO.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At her skill level, clinics and pitching camps won't work. She needs to find a single pitching coach, and then you should stick with her/him. Find someone good and you're DD has a shot at pitching in college.

After a kid gets the basics, she has to learn how to pitch using the gift's God gave her. There is no "one size fits all" after a certain level. She has to maximize her potential. People like Amy, Boardmember and Denny help her become the best pitcher *she* can become.

(Zorba's is pretty good, too.)

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
you all have convinced me sluggers, hopefully within the next 2 weeks I cna find someone close enough, just curious if anyone has heard of Brian Gallagher from the Effingham area. Love Zorba's!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, I don't know Brian Gallagher. How successful have his students been recently? Is Effingham a softball powerhouse, now?

The last time I drove through Mattoon, I went past a softball facility on the East part of town.

I will search for the Springfield name and PM, you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45