have you ever seen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
our LL pres would do same on friday before opening day, half of it flaked off before ceremonies or first games on fields because of the dirt. always though they should just be powerwashed then maybe brush some water saturated with plaster or the like on them (ie whitewash them)

I think he meant they literally spray painted a home plate and bases on the grass. I think that because I saw it once also.

Agreed on spay painting the bases and home plate though ... they look good for a bit, then they look like crap because of the flaking.

Strange habit — when I am on the bases and the field crew runs the chalk line over first base, I will us my plate brush to “paint” the white base with the chalk. It looks good for ... 2 batters? 😁

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I was recently “voluntold” to be the equipment director for our org. Top priority before fall season starts is to have mandatory field prep / field shut down clinic for all travel and rec coaches. There’s just not enough knowledge out there about where to measure from, how to line, how to rake, how to repair holes, etc. And the internet (surprise) is full of bad information.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I was recently “voluntold” to be the equipment director for our org. Top priority before fall season starts is to have mandatory field prep / field shut down clinic for all travel and rec coaches. There’s just not enough knowledge out there about where to measure from, how to line, how to rake, how to repair holes, etc. And the internet (surprise) is full of bad information.
Sounds like a great topic for starting a new thread, or maybe it's already been done. I'm sure I could learn a few things. First time I was placed on the business end of a chalker it had a 4" and a 2" wide setting. I thought to myself I wasn't going to be cheap on the chalk like the school does. I was so proud of the straight, bright, 4" wide lines I had drawn that everyone could see. Lines, batter's boxes, pitcher's circle, the works. Did that between games all weekend. At the end of the tourney chatting with the UIC, he informed me that regulation was 2".

May 6, 2015
wait, if it is on the interweb, it has to be true ;)

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Our rec league switched from chalk to paint several years ago for all of the lines. There is paint designed exactly for this purpose. It is much easier to apply and MUCH better for your infield surface. Heavy chalking builds up in your infield mix and creates a whole different substance. It's why areas around batter's boxes are frequently either hard as a rock or too powdery.

May 6, 2015
Our rec league switched from chalk to paint several years ago for all of the lines. There is paint designed exactly for this purpose. It is much easier to apply and MUCH better for your infield surface. Heavy chalking builds up in your infield mix and creates a whole different substance. It's why areas around batter's boxes are frequently either hard as a rock or too powdery.
this was definitely not that, just regular marking paint for outfield lines (ie for use in grass), made very poor lines, and a lot of fumes (ie not ideal to do while teams are in dugouts or warming up in OF)

sounds interesting though, what is name of product?

Nov 18, 2015
Putting my clinic ideas (and handouts) together this week...will start a thread when they’re all together.
Thank you. I wish there were more threads, or maybe a separate topic area, for field maintenance. I'll try to post more later as well.

ETA: I think I'm the only person in my league who actually enjoys raking the field.
Re: the picture - I'm also probably the only person who lingers at the end of the game just to watch the field crew do their magic. Sure the green grass is wonderful, the striping is amazing, but for me, nothing says "welcome to the bigs" better than realizing the bullpen mounds are kept just as "flat" (no hole in front of the rubber) as the field mound.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802